Please sign in to post.

Dolomite timing, May 2025

Hi,
My wife and I will be leaving Choigga May 29, 2025, heading for the Dolomites, specifically Ortisei. My question is this: Should we go somewhere else first for a few days, or will enough lifts/trails/hotels be open at that time for a good visit?
We are planning six to seven days in Ortisei. Hiking on the trails in the area would be our first entertainment choice.
I know much of this is weather dependent, but on the average, is our timing OK?
Thanks for any help.
David

Posted by
11636 posts

It is a little early, traditionally, but many lifts are open. Take a look at this schedule for the 2024 season https://www.valgardena.it/dl/wolkenstein/pdf/Poster_Gardena_Card_2024.pdf. Note that Seceda opens in July, a couple other good ones, Monte Pana and Ciampinoi, not until June 8. You will find plenty to do, weather depending of course, even in early June. Some summer buses will not be running yet, but you can usually take a taxi for a very reasonable fare where buses are not running yet.

Posted by
2257 posts

@Laurel - on the link you posted, it looks like Ortisei-Furnes-Seceda is open from May 31. Please explain. I'm following because I want to plan a 2025 trip and be sure I delay until Ortisei-Seceda is open.

Posted by
218 posts

Laurel had me worried for a moment on this on, as I too am planning a trip to Ortisei next June. However, as Janet points out, Laurel’s post actually shows the Seceda lift combination opening May 31 this year, even though it’s easy to miss the faint dotted line that separates the lift groupings. The closing times change throughout the summer, and there are actually four lines that apply to the Ortisei-Furnes-Seceda lifts. It’s clearer on this version from the same website: https://www.valgardena.it/en/summer-holidays-dolomites/lifts/. Scroll down to see the schedule.

Posted by
11636 posts

Thanks, ottawanderer, I did miss the faint dotted line. My bad!

I know they have had snow at Seceda as late as May 31 so that could happen even if the lift is open.

Posted by
218 posts

Yeah, it can snow anytime in the mountains. On a trip to Ortisei in 2018, we had three pleasant days of hiking. On the third evening, it started raining heavily in town. The next morning we were hiking Resciesa in four inches of fresh snow. It was August 26!

Posted by
2257 posts

The year we stayed in Ortisei (2019), the Seceda lift wasn't opening until June 15, so even though the 2024 schedule showed May, you can't count on it, unfortunately.