Please sign in to post.

Do I need the Italy 2012 Guidebook if I've got the 2011?

Hi all, Wondering if you suggest I buy this year's Italy guidebook, given I have 2011's. I am going in May. I did rip pages out of the 2011 edition great tip, by the way, to save from lugging the whole book out each day but other than that, I'm wondering if it's necessary (I have the pages I ripped from it ... I believe). Thanks!

Posted by
396 posts

I am still working with the 2009 edition myself. I plan to buy an updated one next year.

Posted by
571 posts

You might do a bit of Web surfing to see if closing days and times change, or entrance fees have increased. If there's a mode of transport you are relying on majorly, make sure it's still up and running. But other than that, the Leaning Tower is still in Pisa, the Colosseum is still in Rome, etc. You should be fine. PS I am one of the lonely few here who didn't like when I tore out the RS guide pages. Some people on these boards actually rebind the relevant pages or have them spiral bound for easy reference. I left mine loose, lost track of the order, misplaced a page here and there, and ultimately wished I had just carried the full guide. But that's just me.

Posted by
63 posts

Thank you for your responses. Now ... to make sure I DO have those missing pages!

Posted by
32253 posts

Renee, While it's nice to have the newest copy of the Guidebooks, I doubt that there are significant changes between the 2011 and 2012 editions. You could always check the Guidebook Updates section on this website to see if there are any changes that might affect your plans. If you want to "travel light", you could also use the E-book versions of the Guidebooks, if you'll be packing along a device to store them (iPod Touch, Netbook, Laptop, Kindle, etc.). Hopefully you can find the missing pages! Happy travels!

Posted by
12 posts

I had the same question, and did go ahead and purchase the 2012 book. The 2012 book has an additional 56 pages. Most of the city maps in the body of the text have changed. They now look more like a typical city map, with more streets listed and smaller print. The older maps looked like they were hand drawn. I find the lettering on the older maps easier to read. Some of the old maps say they are "not to scale", but the new ones do not, as far as I have seen. As an example, the map of Manorola (in the Cinque Terre) covers 2 pages (instead of 1) and is now to scale. I have not noticed differences in the large color city maps of the major cities.
There is a section on the new Florence card (50 euros), which allows you to skip reservations for museums and have free entry. There are likely other differences that I have not yet discovered. Unless your budget is very tight or your trip very short, I suggest you go with the 2012 book. I am glad that I did, as maps that are not to scale will drive my travel partner crazy.

Posted by
63 posts

Thank you for your input, Nancy. That is all great to know. I think I may purchase it, though I'm wondering if I should instead purchase a different book, to complement the RS book. I was looking at another thread about this and it seems many RS fans recommend the Lonely Planet book as a companion. Any thoughts on this, anyone? Thanks!

Posted by
7737 posts

I would probably buy a different guidebook as an additional resource instead, since it's just a one year difference. I love the Eyewitness Travel Guide series because they're loaded with information about the sights you might want to see. I haven't used them for restaurants or hotels, though.

Posted by
175 posts

The only issue with switching guidebooks is that your 2011 might be more current. I don't know if Lonely Planet updates every year like Rick Steves, and if you hit it on the wrong cycle, you could end up with older information than what you have. Just check copyrights, and you'll be good.

Posted by
7737 posts

The other guidebooks are not updated every year by any means. I suggest them merely to get a different perspective.