Please sign in to post.

Destination Wedding in Siena, Italy April 2025

My daughter is having a destination wedding in Siena, Italy on April 29, 2025. (welcome dinner Monday, April 28, 2025). We will be traveling from New York and planned on taking the red eye Thursday 24th landing in Rome on Friday the 25th. As I have already been to Rome, Florence, Venice and Siena, I am looking for suggestions of other cities to visit for a 2-3 days. Not really looking to be doing major sightseeing. Just want to unwind from the travel before the wedding. Was originally thinking about the Amalfi Coast, but that may be too much far. Also, looking to go somewhere after the wedding since we are already in Europe. Was thinking about Greece. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, if anyone has experience with destination weddings, would love advice on how to get gowns from NY to Italy. Not comfortable shipping ahead of time. My luck, the dresses would end up in China.

Posted by
1077 posts

How about Lucca as a place to unwind? It's low-key, great food, and relatively close to Siena.

Posted by
1837 posts

Another vote for Lucca… great dining, Puccini concerts. ( Lucca was his birthplace) and Lucca’s medieval walls to walk off the pasta!

Posted by
550 posts

I would do Orvieto. Lovely small town and between Rome and Siena

Posted by
362 posts

Not sure what you are looking for post-wedding? While we enjoyed Greece, especially Meteora, Sifnos and Athens, I’d suggest Sicily. We never do return trips but Sicily is one of the few places where we would love to. There is something for everyone: ancient ruins, magnificent cathedrals, lovely beaches, vineyards and wineries, gorgeous vistas, fabulous food…not to mention Mt. Etna. We were there in September and the weather was great. Not sure about late April/May.

Posted by
5291 posts

Stacey,

Consider visiting Orvieto before the wedding.
It’s an easy train journey from Rome.

How many days do you plan for a trip after the wedding?

No experience with destination weddings but I’m intrigued, do you have a wedding coordinator in Italy, or how are you making all the arrangements for the wedding?

Posted by
7057 posts

Another vote for Orvieto.
Easy to get to- head there right after landing.

Posted by
10 posts

Livorno and Volterra are both lovely and close to Siena. The first is a larger coastal city and the second feels like a rural town.