Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Venice

We are staying in Venice in September, and are considering a day trip to either the Dolomites or to Padua. Looking for any advice on this idea, or suggestions for other towns to visit in the area. We have been to Venice on two other trips, so we are looking to get out of the city for a day. We would prefer to travel by train.

Posted by
6531 posts

Padua (aka Padova) is an easy train ride from Venice, with the Scrovegni Chapel, the university, the Basilica of St. Anthony, and lots of medieval and renaissance buldings, mostly walkable but with good bus service. Other nearby cities that people on this forum have recommended include Vernoa and Vicenza, farther than Padua from Venice but I think also reachable by train (I haven't been). The Dolomites are a big area (which I haven't visited) with mountain scenery that probably gets better the less reachable it is by train. Y

You don't say how long you'll be in Venice, but if you've been there twice before it might be time for a day trip outside. Padua would be the quickest and easiest, but you have to decide what you're looking for.