Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Rome

We are going on a food and wine tour starting in Florence and ending in Rome in July. Prior to that we will spend a couple of days in the Cinque Terre. The tour ends with breakfast on a Monday morning. Our flight back to the US does not leave until Wednesday morning from Rome. We've been to Rome twice before. My question is: should we stay in Rome for the rest of Monday and Tuesday or should we attempt to visit Naples / Positano etc ? I would love to visit Positano and the Amalfi coast but I am afraid that we will spend too much time trying to get there before we need to return to Rome for our flight (9am on Wedn). Any recommendations on Day Trips we could take from Rome that would allow us to return on a train on the same evening? Thank you! Much appreciated!

Posted by
8170 posts

There is so much stuff to see in the suburbs of Rome, and trains can take you out to the general vicinity. But it may be best to check Viator.com or a local tour company to see what day trips are available.

We once stayed 20 miles south of Rome and went into the city on commuter trains. Our B&B host was a fabulous tour guide famous for his midnight tours of Rome. He has a page on his website dedicated to the travel sights in the "burbs" as follows: http://olivetreehill.com/places-to-visit-outside-of-rome/

Ivano drove us to the top of a mountain on Easter, and we hiked down 1700' vertical on 3000 year old walking trails to the restored pagan temple of Palestrina. At the end of WWII, allied bombers dropped bombs prior to Allied Forces invasion and out of the rubble they rediscovered this incredible temple.

Posted by
15856 posts

Jessica, with the short amount of time you have, I think I'd just stay in Rome. You'd spend a good chunk of time Monday just getting to the AC, and have to turn right around and come back on Tuesday. Save that one for a future trip when you have more than 1 night to spend.

Have you been to Orvieto yet? That one has been a favorite among RS day-trippers from Rome, and it's only 70 minutes or so by direct train; easily done in a day.

Posted by
906 posts

Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli are good day trips from Rome. As is Ostia Antica

Posted by
15602 posts

Orvieto is another popular day trip from Rome. Naples/Positano - too far IMO.

Posted by
11613 posts

Frascati is a short train ride from Roma (can't remember if it's Roma Termini or Tiburtina). Beautiful gardens. Castel Gandolfo is nearby as well, but buses would probably be the choice for transportation.