Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Rome

We are spending two days in Cinque Terre on a family trip. Is Cinque Terre significantly different in appearance than the Amalfi Coast? I am trying to decide whether to plan a day trip from Rome to the Amalfi Coast or whether we would be seeing much of what we had already seen and lose a day in Rome which we could use to explore the city and Vatican. We have five days in Rome. I am traveling with four kids ages 19, 15, and twin 8 year olds. My children are interested in Pompei so that was what made me consider the Amalfi Coast as an option.

Posted by
4825 posts

It really depends on what you (and the kids) really want to see and do. The Amalfi Coast is beautiful, but is, in my mind, quite different from the CT. To me the A. Coast is much more crowded and "unreal" than the CT. That being said, if your hearts are set on Pompeii, a day trip from Rome is not the way to go. It can be done as a day trip, but it will be a looooong day! Just go to the A. Coast for a couple of nights and go to Pompeii in the process.

Posted by
4152 posts

The Amalfi coast is not a good day trip from Rome. If you plan to visit it you should do it as an overnight.

Pompeii is a good day trip from Rome as it takes less than 2 hours to get there by train/s. Plan to spend the entire day at the site. It's huge. Go early and come back late.

Donna

Posted by
506 posts

I would not give up a day in Rome. This will be our fourth trip soon and we are seeing things that we have not had time to see in the last three. It is such a wonderful city. They don't call it the Eternal City for nothing.

Posted by
2364 posts

Donna is right with her advice. If the kids really want to see Pompeii, go for it. Go as early as possible and you can be back in Rome in time for dinner. It is one train from Rome and one from Naples, just be sure to get off at the main Naples train station and the correct one for Pompei, I think it is called Pompei Scavi. Take lots of water with you as it is very hot with no shade. I think with eight year old twins, four hours is pushing it but you can certainly see enough in three hours. Good luck.

Posted by
11613 posts

I am all for keeping the kids happy, whether it's Pompeii or the Leaning Tower. Seeing something that they are already interested in will have a long-term effect on how they feel about seeing the world, and a great short-term benefit for the rest of the trip.