Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Rome

Looking for the best Day Trips from Rome. One day we would specifically like to go on a Tuscan Tour. Open for any other suggestions. Sorry if this is a repeat question and thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Adrienne

Posted by
6663 posts

I enjoyed visiting Ostia Antica, an easy local train ride from Rome. It was Rome's seaport before the river silted up. It's full of ancient ruins, mosaics, a theater, and other interesting sights, plus a good small museum. I haven't been to Pompeii (much farther away) but Ostia has been compared to Pompeii (without the drama of the volcanic eruption).

Posted by
3112 posts

Not sure whether there are Tuscany tours from Rome (there probably are a few), but another idea would be to take an early high-speed train to Florence (1.5 hours), spend some time exploring Forence and book a half-day Tuscany tour from Florence. There are several tours to choose from and they have also been widely discussed on this forum (use Search box above). The last high-speed trains back to Rome depart around 10:13pm (Trenitalia) and 10:28pm (Italo), so you have the option to make a fairly long day of it.

Posted by
2348 posts

hey hey prinnesa
you will get lots of different day trips to take from rome, i'll just add my 3 cents for another.
is your wanting a tuscan tour for a wine tasting? it will be a long day. you can check out:
beautiful countryside day trip: castelli romani (withlocals.com)
a ride out in the wine country of frascati, known for white wine, with a local guide. see the lakes, small villages, the pope has his summer home here, ask to stop at ceralli.it, a family owned bakery/oven cafe, know for the "best porchetta" and nonna is 90 years old still baking.
oldfrascati.com
take a short 30-40 minute train ride to frascati station and they will pick you up for the tour to begin. read up on the website about what the family is about and what they do.
italymagazine.com (search: lake nemi and it's wild berry) it's an older article but gives you info about the area, villages, roman history, mystery of the lake and it's mystical aura, well know strawberry grown there, liquers and other local products made there.
marketsofrome.com i loved to walk the markets just to see the interesting things in them
eatwith.com activities that may interest you
eatingeurope.com
wantedinrome.com/day trips from rome
this will rack your brain with lots of ideas, liked to walk the outdoor markets around some of the piazzas, walk in the small shops, bakeries, delis, etc. you'll have a fabulous and fun time. hope this helps you out.
aloha

Posted by
16065 posts

Prinnesa, while you're getting some good ideas, please be cautious not to short Rome itself? There is a GREAT deal of ground that can be covered there, and trying to compress the Top However-Many into a short amount of time isn't a great way to learn to get to know her and appreciate her many wonders. It puts you squarely in the middle of the mob tramping those same most-visited attractions all day, every day. That can get real old, real fast so breathing room to enjoy some of the less-trampled places helps manage sightseeing fatigue.

I've a total of about 2 weeks time in the Eternal City, over 3 trips, and still have a long list of gotta-do's to knock off. That's not even the stuff I want to do a second time, and not close to the amount of time some of our other posters have spent, without boredom, in the Eternal City! :O)

Posted by
13 posts

Prinnesa, I don't have a suggestion for a Tuscany day trip from Rome but I want to thank you and the respondents for exactly what I needed in terms of a boost for DIY travel planning. RS Forum ROCKS.

I was feeling overwhelmed planning a second trip to Rome bringing along college age newbies. Enlisted what I thought was an independent travel advisor specializing in Italy. I hoped that they would sort out new rules/limitations on the Roma Pass and advise on when DIY would work vs booking a tour. Oh so disappointed when I read the email this evening. It was mostly a list of tour$ and almost no DIY advice.

Time to get out a notepad and read the Forum here about the best way to visit the Forum.

Posted by
7542 posts

Orvieto is a satisfactory approximation of Tuscany until you can schedule another trip with overnights in Tuscany. Either or (very ambitious) both of Villa d'Este and Hadrian’s Villa in Tivoli are very fine independent daytrips.. Bus and/or Train.

You should not plan day trips unless you have five full days in Rome itself. What time of year?

Posted by
2894 posts

Appian Antica Regional park, Aqueduct Park and the catacombs might be of interest too. The 6 mile section of the old Appian Way can be walked or biked, with bikes available for rent at the park headquarters where you can also pick up an excellent map and guide to the area.
Getting there is pretty straighforward by metro and bus from central Rome.
The park has an excellent website in English for more info.

Posted by
16065 posts

Ditto the suggestion for the Appia Antica! Our favorite day out in Rome to date, and the further reaches are out in the country so you feel like you've left the city. Lots to see along the way:

https://www.parcoappiaantica.it

For a download of a really useful map of the road in English, go to this page and click on the AppiaAnticaeng2015.pdf download.
Maps of the Aqueducts and other parts of the park are also available on that same page.

Posted by
3 posts

We will be in Rome from June 16-20. Maybe one day trip would be best. On other forums people said that Rome can be done in one or two days! Amazing how much there is to do in Italy once you start looking at it.
Thank you so much for for the information. 😊

Posted by
16065 posts

On other forums people said that Rome can be done in one or two days!

Hogwash. Rome wasn't built in a day (or two), and shouldn't be "done" in one (or two).
The darn thing officially dates to 753 BC (it's actually older than that) so there's been a lotta time to make a lotta history. Good thing you've found the right forum! πŸ˜‰

Posted by
153 posts

We recently took 2 day-trips from Rome and both were with Walks booked through Trip Advisor. The first was a trip to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. The second was a trip to two Tuscany towns and lunch on a farm. Both were excellent and were the only way we would have been able to visit both areas outside of Rome during our week there.

Posted by
19 posts

Go to the sea! It's an easy Metro ride to Ostia Lido. The wonderful staff at any TI office will be able to explain how if you need a confidence boost. We just walked on the sand and picked up travertine stones and beach glass.

Posted by
26 posts

I did a fantastic day trip from Rome to Florence. I booked a high speed train ride on ITALO. I left Rome at 7:45 A.M. and was in Florence in 1 hour and 30 mins. - I was back in Rome by 8:30 pm.

This is what I did ... never felt rushed.

• climb to the top of the DUOMO.
  • walk around Ponte Vecchio - take awesome pictures , eat gelato.
  • enjoy a Bistecca Alla Fiorentina for lunch
  • walk around main square and shop around
  • end the day at Piazzale Michelangelo --- gorgeous views of Florence
Posted by
944 posts

Ostia Antica. Roma card even pays for it if you have one. Hint, go to the far reaches first and then work back. Its more interesting and larger than we planned. So we had little time to see the major area of the site, which is most distant from the entrance.

Posted by
7737 posts

If you want to combine a day trip with a cooking class, check out Convivio Rome. They're in the tiny town of Toffia, and it includes a trip to the nearby abbey in Farfa. The couple who do this are charming. Wife Sally is Aussie and husband Guido is Roman.

https://www.conviviorome.com/

Posted by
23 posts

We spent 7 nights in Rome in June and it was not enough. We did a Tuscany in a day tour through City Wonders, which I highly recommend!! We also took the high speed train to Florence for a day (awesome, but not long enough in Florence).