Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Rome

We, two adults and two teenagers, have a tour that starts in Rome on a Saturday in early June. We can arrive in Rome as early as Monday. We have been in Rome before and are looking for day trips or just something different. We have the Monday we arrive, all day rest of the week and Saturday morning before we meet up with our group.

We plan to book a tour for underground colosseum and are considering using a tour company for a full day tour to Pompeii. We have a day dedicated to Ostia Antica which we will do on our own.

Pisa seems rather far from Rome but we have discussed flying into Florence on Monday (also a repeat visit) spending Tuesday seeing what we missed the first time then, Wednesday, taking the train to Rome with a stop in Pisa before continuing to Rome. (No overnights in Pisa) Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning will be our Rome plans.

Can you leave luggage at Pisa train station?
Opinions on visiting Pisa as a day trip from Rome?
Any suggestions for tour company for Pompeii or Colosseum underground?

Posted by
1949 posts

We will be in Rome for six nights in late February. We will probably visit Ostia Antica on a daytrip, then also we're planning to make a day of the hilltown of Orvieto. Seems to be very self-contained and only a little more than an hour from Termini station.

Posted by
27214 posts

Orvieto is very nice. In addition to being very pretty, it has quite a lot of actual sights (far more than most folks see in Pisa). There's enough there to justify two nights if you want some time away from Rome. Rick covers it in his "Italy" guidebook.

Posted by
8170 posts

There are an amazing number of day trips to make out of Rome. There is almost as much to see in the suburbs as in the city.
We stayed at a B&B in Zagarolo on our first trip to Rome--about 20 miles south. We rode the commuter train into the city some mornings. Our B&B host has a blog that includes some of the places to see:
http://www.olivetreehill.com/places-to-visit-outside-of-rome/
Ivano is also famous for his midnight tours of Rome. It's a completely different place under the lights.
We were driven to the top of a mountain to Castel di San Pietro and walked about 1500 feet down ancient walking paths to Palestrina--a pagan temple dating back to 1000 B.C.
We've also toured Orvieto, 70 minutes north of Rome by train, and really liked it. Civita is a short distance southwest of there too.
Pisa has the leaning tower and a beautiful church, but otherwise is less than noteworthy. Many people bypass it as a tourist city. Pisa Airport is popular for those flying in to visit Florence--an hour away by train.

Orvieto is definitely doable. Assisi takes a longer train ride (2 hours one way, some trains are longer) - but is still a possibility. If you get to Orvieto early enough - you can see Orvieto in the morning, then take a bus round trip from Orvieto to Civita Di Bagnoregio. Then, back to Rome.

Posted by
106 posts

Hi Ann,

I second Orvieto as a day trip. It's only 1.15 minutes from Rome and so much to see. Check out the history and views, you'll be amazed! Plus, you get to ride a funicular to get to the top. We're staying over night on our way to Florence from Rome. My family will also be visiting Italy June 1-15, 2017. Be aware that June 2 is a national holiday and there 's a large parade turnout near Vittorio Emanulle Monument/Colosseum area. Stay away from here and plan your day on the opposite side of Rome. Unless you want to experience an Italian national holiday.

There are many tours for Colosseum Underground. I chose "The Roman Guy", for reviews, price and tour size. There's also a Rick Steve's discount in his book when checking out. Heed my advice if you go on June 2, crowds will be crazy around that area.

I'm also looking into a day trip to Pompeii. Check out "Private Tours of Pompeii", on TripAdvisor, they have some nice packages. I'm currently leaning towards a door to door tour for the convenience.

If you have time in Rome, Top Bike Rentals does an Ancient Appian Way bike tour. Doing that one next year with electric bikes :)

Good luck and happy travels.

Posted by
7737 posts

If you consider seeing Assisi, I would strongly encourage you to spend the night there. It's magical in the evening and early morning when the daytrippers aren't around. (True of most places in Italy.)

Posted by
906 posts

I am surprised no one has mentioned Tivoli or Hadrian's Villa. Both easy daytrips from Rome and worth the trip.