Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Milan

Hi, We will be leaving for Milan this week. We will be in Milan for 5 days and will use it as a home base for taking side trips. We are still deciding on our day trips before we leave for a few days in cinque terre and Venice afterwards. We know we would like to go to lake como/ bellagio. Is it better to do a tour there or just to do it on our own? Also, is it crazy to do a daytrip to Florence from Milan? I have been there but my husband has never been. We just plan to walk around but not to go to see Ufizzi ( not sure if spelling is correct). Any suggestions for day trips from Milan other than CT and Venice? Thanks.

Posted by
237 posts

Sally: Since you are planning to go to Venice, it may make more sense to do this en route to Venice (if departing from Milan); however, a wonderful half-day would be to visit the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua which is about 2-2.5 hours from Milan by train. The chapel has a wonderful fresco cycle by Giotto. You generally have to reserve a date/time ahead of time but you can always call or try your luck. And yes, in my opinion, a day trip to Florence is not feasible. It is about two hours by train; however, there is just so much to do and see in Florence that a day trip--even an extended day trip--would likely be more frustrating than anything else. In any event, enjoy your trip!

Posted by
3962 posts

An easy day trip from Milan is to take the train to Bergamo and walk (or take a bus) up the hill to the higher old city, Bergamo Alto. It takes less than an hour and costs about 6€. Great views, architecture, cathedral, food and shops. We did this as a relaxing day trip from Milan.

Posted by
11613 posts

I agree with Mona. The €6 includes train and bus fare.

Posted by
16894 posts

MIlan-Florence takes only 1 h40m each way by fast train but there are a number of cities that could be reached in half that time, including Torino (45 min on some departures, interesting museums), Brescia (Roman and several other periods of architectural monuments in a city atmosphere), Bergamo Alta (a small hill town surrounded by a city) as mentioned, Pavia has plenty of history but I haven't been there.

Posted by
906 posts

Like wine?

Consider Asti and/or/Alba