Please sign in to post.

day trips from Lucca

We are using Lucca as our home base for four nights while in Tuscany. We are renting a car and want to take one or two day trips to nearby small towns and rural areas. Any suggestions? I would love to see San Gimignano and Volterra abut I am worried that we will arrive during the rush of tourists mid day and not get as much out of it. We plan to visit Pisa one day, and have already visited the Cinque Terra. Thanks.

Posted by
906 posts

Go north up the Serchio River. Stop at Pont della Maddalena (Devils' Bridge) and continue on to Garfangnana. Enjoy the Apuan Alps in the area, it is a national park.

Going east you have Montecatini and Montecatini Alto, nice towns. Vinci is close. You could even get to Siena without much difficulty. San Gimi and Volterra are doable. Certaldo too.

South to the Tuscan Islands, Giglio (Costa Concordia ship wreck location), Argenetario, Elba, Maremma. Pretty country.

Posted by
115 posts

We stayed in Lucca in May a couple of years ago for about a week and only rented a car for 3 days yet we took at least four day trips:
1. Pisa by bus: easy and fast without the need to worry about parking which can be difficult in both Pisa and Lucca (at least inside the wall)
2. One day drive to Vinci (birthplace of Leonardo) and Montecatini Alta
3. One day drive to Lerici and and Tellarro
4. One day drive to Barga with a vineyard stop

The drives to the above places were recommended by our B&B hostess and without a doubt were worth the time we spent and were not filled with tourists.

Posted by
104 posts

Lucca is wonderful and deserves at least a full day. If you leave Lucca early, you can see with great ease the locations you note before they are overrun. However, don't rush. When leaving Volterra, my cousin and I were rushing and almost missed (not paying attention) to the beauty of the Tuscan countryside. We passed over a hill where there was a huge O statue..... And I backed up so we could take pictures. I echo Gordon's suggestions. I used Lucca as a base for a month and had such a wonderful time.