Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Florence

Hi,
I would like to take 1 of our 3 days in Florence and head out of the city.
I thought about taking a cheap bus to Siena for the day and walking around but I would also like more of a wine country experience.
I’m looking at tours from Walks of Italy (Siena, Chianti,
San Gimignano - $184 per person) and Walkabout Florence (Siena, Chianti, San Gimignano, Pisa- $100 per person). I’m not sure why there is such a big price difference? Maybe smaller group size with walks of Italy? Walkabout Florence doesn’t specify group size but you travel on an air-conditioned coach which sounds like a big bus.
I had planned to stop in Pisa on the way from Florence to Cinque Terre by train just to see the leaning tower. But mabe do it on a tour instead?
Anyone have any experience with either of these two tours/companies?

Posted by
1206 posts

I've done three day trips from Florence: the Walkabout Florence trip "Best of Tuscany" that you describe, the Walkabout Florence "Chianti Wine and Food Safari" and also took a day tour with Tours by Roberto. The Walkabout "Best" group was a bus with about 26 people on it. There were actually several (3?) busloads, which loaded up together at the Florence SMN train station. Each group traveled independently of each other, but we met up for lunch at a vineyard that had a largish dining area (long tables with bench seats, but food and wine were good and views were lovely). The Walkabout "Best" group did, yes, walk around Siena for about 1.5 hours. We had maybe 45" independent time in Siena. Then we went to lunch; then San G, where we did have independent time for about an hour, then to Pisa. We walked from the Pisa bus parking area together, and then were let loose on the Field of Miracles for about an hour. The trip was well organized, the guide was energetic and helpful. The group did not feel too big (most of the time). The Walkabout "Wine and Food Safari" had a smaller group, probably about 18, in a smaller bus. We stopped at 3 beautiful vineyards, wandered around a couple of them, and had wine tastings at each, and a fabulous lunch - with wine - out on a stone porch at a countryside restaurant (the staff were all atwitter, telling us "George and Amal dined with us twice last week!"). We also stopped in the village of Greve for about 45". Perhaps in part because of the amount of wine consumed throughout the day, this became a very friendly group with whom to travel. With Tours by Roberto (with pickup in Florence; he picks up in both Florence and Siena), we were 7 people plus Roberto. Because my sister does not drink alcohol, we chose the tour in Tuscany that he offers that does not stop at vineyards. We went into an Etruscan tomb in the countryside, walked alongside Roman baths carved into the ground beside a small river, visited an ancient mill, had lunch in a beautiful medieval village, then walked around another smaller, incredibly beautiful village. Roberto is incredibly loquacious and charming. I was happy with all three tours, though the "Best of Tuscany" was larger than the others, so made getting through towns together a bit more unwieldy and less personal. I suggest as you are researching this trip, you look at Roberto's tour descriptions and consider one that visits vineyards during the day.

Posted by
2109 posts

We have used Walks of Italy and they are great! I highly recommend them.

I checked the WOI Tuscany tour and the Walkabout Florence tour you listed. Both include lunch and wine tasting. I agree, the difference might be in the size of the group. I would still vote for WOI. Siena, Chianti and San Gimignano would be a lot to cover in 10 hours. Pisa is an hour away from San Gimignano. I'm afraid it would make for a really long day or you'd have less time at the other stops.

Posted by
2109 posts

jmauldinuu, was one of the wineries Castello di Verrazzano? That was our home base when we vacationed in Tuscany. We loved it! The food and wine was to die for!

Posted by
1206 posts

DougMac, I don't think so. I looked back (on my phone) at my photos from that trip, and don't think that I've been to that vineyard. But sooooo many good ones!!

Posted by
4637 posts

Among others good day trips from Florence are Sienna, Luca, Cinque Terre.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you for all the information.
jmauldinuu, unfortunately Roberto doesn’t have my date available.

I love George ❤️

Posted by
10 posts

Ilja, After Florence, we are going by train to the Cinque Terre for 2 nights, and then on to Rome.

Posted by
10 posts

Happy to say I booked Walks of Italy with a 20% discount! Pisa is too far out to consider Walkabout best of Tuscany. We will see Pisa when we take the train to Cinque Terre.
Walkabout Florence Wine Safari specifically states -We regret that vegetarian or other alternative dietary requirements cannot be catered for- and my daughter is vegan. Walks Of Italy is able to accommodate her diet.