Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Florence

Thanks for all the help so far! Next question: I will be based in Florence for five days. Would like to take day trips but am not sure what is feasible as to which places need an entire day, which places can be grouped into one day. Any help would be appreciated =) Here's the list of possibilities:

Siena
Cinque Terra
Lucca
Assisi
Pisa

Anyone know if all these would require a full day or if some are half-day trips? Also, if these are all full day trips, we won't be able to do them all -- what are you top choices or "shouldn't miss" places?

thank you!

Posted by
362 posts

Siena is a great day trip by bus. You could go in the morning, have lunch and be back before dinner - but I wouldn't rush it!

You could get to Pisa, and then visit Lucca on the way back on the train.

The Cinque Terra to me is too far to enjoy for a day trip - you will be traveling for hours and hours and it entails a train change also (although checking the schedule just now I see there is a 2.5 hour ES but it doesn't run often).

Assisi is also doable on the train (2.5 hours) - but I would put that in with Siena as a day for itself.

I have been to all those places from Florence - picking a favorite is tough! I don't think you can go wrong - but if I was to leave one out it may be Pisa -

Posted by
168 posts

Hi Rebecca,

Something I would recommend is doing Siena & San Gimingano together. I personally preferred San G. over Sienna since it was a little smaller. But you can do both of these very easily by bus.

Cinque Terra I think would be too far for a day trip. You at least need 1 night there (if not 2).

I would also recommend you do a wine tour in Tuscany. We did a wine tasting at Castello di Verrazzano (http://www.verrazzano.com/). It was only a 30 min bus ride from Florence to the Chianti Region and was near the town of Greve. It was the highlight of our trip.

It was an approx. 1 hour tour of the grounds/wine making and then we did the lunch tour option (the Chianti tradition) which was fabulous. We sat on the terrace overlooking all of tuscany which was beautiful. Each person got a huge plate of a mix of meats and cheeses (there was a vegetarian version available). Then we sampled 4 wines, and after they poured they left the remaining bottles for the table to finish (and there were only 6 of us at each table). We also sampled a dessert wine and balsamic vinaigrette. And there was also bread with olive oil drizzled over it.

I would highly recommend this place. The views were amazing and the people were so friendly!

Have a great trip!

Posted by
39 posts

We are also going to be in Florence for 5 nights. It was previously suggested that if you do Lucca and Pisa in the same day to start with Lucca.

Posted by
11 posts

Lucca!! Don't miss it. Rent a bike and enjoy! After 3 weeks of exploring Italy, Lucca was one of my favorite places.