Please sign in to post.

Day Trips From Florence

... So every year for my Mom's anniversary of being cancer free, we go somewhere special,i.e. The British Virgin Islands, D.C. and The Big Apple, Paris etc etc .. This November i am taking her to Rome and Florence for a quick 8 day Thanksgiving Italy Week...

My Question to you fellow Wanderlust companions: Its been almost 7 years since i have been to Italy (eek!) we have 4 nights in roma and 4 nights in Florence... i would like to take her on a day trip one of the days in florence... do we venture into Chianti? i have a incling to take a trip to Siena, Lucca, Pisa????? or do we attempt a death march to Venice? (my past experiance with Venice was not the greatest, i loved the scenery, but i was neither rich or in love, which i feel is essential for being in venice. i was a starving, flu infested 18 year girl staying in a nunnery in november)

your thoughts and wisdom is requested

Posted by
705 posts

Go to Siena it's so lovely and an easy day trip. Personally I think Venice is too far to go and you will spend most of the time travelling. I'm sure you could spend a lovely, relaxing day there and even maybe add in Pisa.

Posted by
16 posts

Siena, absolutely Siena - it's an hour by train and it a wonderfully beautiful city!

Posted by
1127 posts

Lucca! It's one of my favorite cities. It's a wonderful relaxing town that will make a great break from the energy of Florence. Rent bikes and ride the ramparts. It's even better if you can stay overnight and see the city after the daytrippers have departed.

Posted by
32202 posts

courtney,

I agree with the others in that Venice is too far for a day trip. Siena or Lucca would both be great choices. Aside from the Leaning Tower, Pisa doesn't have much interest for me.

I found that using the Bus from Florence to Siena is a bit easier (the Bus station is right next to Firenze S.M.N. rail station). The train station in Siena is at the bottom of the hill, whereas the Bus stops close to the centre of town. I don't think there's too much difference in the travel time. On my outgoing journey from Siena, I took a Taxi down to the station.

If you plan on visiting the Accademia or Uffizi, be sure to get reservations! Your Hotel should be able to book these for you if you indicate which date you want to visit each location.

Your last trip to Italy doesn't sound too pleasant! It's great to hear that your Mom is doing well!!!

Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

For me, there's really nothing in Pisa but the leaning tower. We walked around several streets and saw nothing but a lot of graffiti. Siena is simply wonderful and scenic. Very accessible by a SITA bus (SITA is a bus system). If your open for a long day, you can make it to Monterosso in the Cinque Terre in 3hrs. In 3-5 hours, you can walk around Monterosso, Vernazza, have lunch and even walk the "lover's trail" along the water from Manorola to Riomaggiore. 3hrs back to Florence and it's a 10-12 hour day for sure. Just a crazy option.

Posted by
2 posts

Sam-
how far is lucca from florence and the best way to get there??

Thanks SO much for all the replies. you have only re affirmed in my mind that Siena is the ticket...

No thoughts on Chianti and touring some of the wineries? is that not worth it? something about sipping on italian chianti in a vineyard is appealing to me, thought i think more culture is to be had in Siena or Lucca. ..

Posted by
553 posts

Courtney

We just returned to our apartment in Florence from an all day bus tour of Siena and San Gimignano with CAF Tours, a member of Grayline (www.caftours.com). Cost 52 euros per person and had running commentary from an English speaking guide on the way there, and then a very informed "local" guide in Siena. Lots of hilly walking in both places, but very informative. Scenery was great and it was a nice change of pace for us from the chaos of Rome and to some degree, Florence. If you wnat to know more, email me.

Jim

Posted by
1883 posts

I have to disagree with the posters that say Venice is too far for a day trip. My husband and I did it several years ago. It is a 3 hour train ride one way, but if you catch the early train out, you are there by lunch, have the entire afternoon to enjoy, then catch the 6PM train back and arrive in time for dinner in Florence.

We enjoyed the one day there..Venice is too overwhelming to me for more than one day, and too expensive too, but I felt it was totally worth the time on the train to see this city before it sinks into the sea!

We had time to walk the streets, over the bridges, tour the Jewish Ghetto, take the elevator to the top of the torre, get some shots with locals dressed as if for Carnivale. We had great sea food for lunch and an enjoyable/relaxing train ride back to Florence.

Consider it still.....

Posted by
3112 posts

If you decide to do a wine tour, look for one that includes lunch at a nice winery. Some do a great spread - several delicious courses served with an assortment of their wines. Won't be cheap, but it will be memorable.