Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Florence

We will be in Florence for seven weeks. Part of this time we will have our children and grandchildren staying for a week or two at a time. We were wondering what are some good day trips from there that would not exhaust the kids,(kids range in age from eight to seventeen),or just for us to get away for a day.

Posted by
864 posts

Siena is a nice day trip and if you throw in a nice lunch you have a hit for everyone. If young children are in the mix go for an informal place and order whatever the special is. (Service is quicker and young children as you know get restless.) San Gimignano is also a good day trip. We always have a car so I can't speak to taking a train or bus. Explore renting a van on a day by day basis via say Hertz or Avis. Cinque Terre is a long but very doable day trip. Probably not best suited for the 8 year old as you will be in the car for several hours each way. The scenery is very nice for those in the party that enjoy it for it's own sake.

Posted by
1883 posts

Pisa...easy. Siena as well. Both accessible by bus or train (Siena bus is better - train station is farther from center of town) if you have a car, no issue with either. Both have towers to climb....Siena has more to see of interest...the Duomo, Piazza, and you can climb the bell tower.

Posted by
262 posts

Siena is really great and has much more to do than Pisa except there is no leaning tower.

Posted by
362 posts

The leaning tower in Pisa is quite a sight - but for kids outside of that I don't think there is that much. Climbing the tower in Siena is great and they will love the view at the top. Some other things for kids from or in Florence: Climb the Duomo, Climb the Campanile, The Wind Cave north of Lucca (http://www.florence-on-line.com/florence-for-kids/grotta-del-vento-the-wind-cave.html), The Tree Experience (outside Florence a bit but probably okay in a Taxi), Il Museo dei Ragazzi, La Specola Museum (Fantastic for kids!), Da Vinci Museum (where they have recreated Da Vinci's machines), Pistoia Zoo, Boboli Garden Bologna for a day via train - Arezzo for a day via train - great medieval town, good museum Lucca for a day via train - You can Google most of these things for more information -

Posted by
92 posts

From Florence, I did enjoy Lucca (a really nice medieval city), also went to Assisi, Cortona, Pisa, Arezzo, Orvieto and Rome. Florence usually has real good train connections. This was done in about 9 days. However, some areas, might have a slower train, or you might wish to use a car. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
10252 posts

We just returned from Italy and really enjoyed Lucca. We rented bikes and rode around the top of the wall, which was a lot of fun.

Posted by
42 posts

From Florence you can take day trips to Pisa, Lucca and Siena very easily without a car (like mentioned above, Siena better by bus). San Gimignano is also highly recommended, you need both train and bus. Other places are easier to get to with car but you can evaluate whether a car for day or two might be useful. In Florence, keep in mind that the Museo per Ragazzi with base in Palazzo Vecchio offers guided visits to the city museums especially for children in various languages which should make for fun alternatives to visit museums. You should definitely look into doing a day wine tasting in Chianti - I've done the one offered by the city of Florence for just 15 euros every Thursdays - wonderful because you can taste and go to museums and wineries without worrying about driving. It is an all day outing.

Posted by
500 posts

I will also be day tripping from Florence. I have heard very good reports of bus tours to Siena and San G. and even one that goes to Pisa as well that gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I know Siena is an easy bus ride from Florence and I'm usually not one for bug bus day trips and prefer to travel on my own but these tours seem to cover alot of ground and people seem to rave. I was wondering what people here think.

Posted by
4408 posts

Wow, Lourdes! I did a bit of investigating, and came across your blog entry on DiscoverTuscany.com...you aren't the only person who has loved the tour...and only €15! Definitely going into 'The Folder'............and Jerry, I'm a Texan who lived in Dallas 11 years - that makes us practically family; just let me know which week I'm supposed to come ;-)

Posted by
933 posts

Anthony, will you please create a web site filled with you ideas. You point out all sorts of stuff I can't find anywhere else but in your postings here. To Jerry, Lucca is a wonderful place for families. Climb BOTH Towers on the towers ticket, ride the bikes on the walls, buy all the fixings in town for a picnic and have a big picnic on the walls. Lucca is a fun city.