Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Florence

Hi all. I'd like to double check my thinking with you. I'll take a local train to Lucca for the day and I don't need to get my pass early, correct? I'll reach Siena by bus, and again, I don't need to get a ticket in advance. Depending on how things are going, I might try to visit San Gimagnano from Siena and it looks like I can catch a bus from one to the other, but to return to Florence, I should catch a local train. Is that right? Last, I will take a bus to Fiesole, but if Parco Di Pratolino is open (they may open the first weekend in April) can I take a bus from Fiesole or will I need to get a taxi? I'm still debating on going to Venice via the fast train and have found a gap in my schedule in case I decide to spend a night there on a whim. Since I'm in Florence for 7 nights, I'll still have plenty of down time to just randomly roam the city as well. Does this all sound accurate? I appreciate your guidance once again.

Posted by
545 posts

Yes, you can take local train to Lucca and local bus to Siena and buy the tickets day of your trip. Not sure about the travel back from San Gimignano. Although I’ve never been to Venice, I’m thinking just one night there may be rushing it? I loved Lucca and Siena; each deserves at least one full day in my opinion. Have fun!

Posted by
865 posts

One night in Venice is certainly rushing it. But if you are looking to just cross off the bucket list, then go.

Posted by
1039 posts

There's not much in Fiesole, but its a nice quiet place to cool off in the evening, get a gelato, and have a view over the city.

Posted by
2026 posts

We took the train to Lucca for a day trip from Florence. We walked around, rode bikes on the wall, had lunch and walked some more. Returning to the station to get back to Florence, we noticed many fast connections to Pisa so we went there for a couple of hours, enough to see the tower and surrounding area. It was very easy to take the bus in Pisa from the station to the tower and back to catch the train to Florence. A longish day and quick touring but easy and fun. Safe travels.

Posted by
6342 posts

I took a day trip to Assisi from Florence and it wound up being one of my favorite places in Italy. It is a charming and beautiful town, with lots to see and do and set and the surrounding countryside is absolutely breathtaking. It's not a quick day trip - I think it's a few hours by train - but it's definitely worth it. If you have the opportunity to spend the night there, it's even better.

Posted by
6079 posts

Don’t cut your time short in Siena to go to SG
Siena deserves a FULL day, stay as late in the evening as transpo allows and the transportation to/ from SG is not that simple
From SG back to Florence is bus to Poggibonsi then train to Florence ( no train station in SG)