Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Florence?

I will be staying a week in Florence and want to make some day trips with public transportation. Recommendations?

Posted by
13 posts

We just spent five days in Florence last week, and took a day trip to Siena. The bus ride that was a little over an hour was enjoyable - drove by some gorgeous Tuscan hills! Siena is beautiful, we walked thru cobble-stone streets that all led to the city's square. It was wonderful!

Mila

Posted by
1449 posts

take a look at a map such as google that shows the train lines. Anyplace along the train route will be easily accessible. For hilltowns, you can take a bus from the train station up to the top.

Posted by
1003 posts

Pisa and Lucca are easy daytrips by train from Florence and can be combined in one day if you wish. Siena would also be a wonderful day trip by bus. Fiesole is just a few miles from Florence and easy to get to by bus. Some beautiful views of Florence from here if you hike up Via San Francesco and hike up a little higher and you will come to the charming Church of San Francesco. Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
2026 posts

We enjoyed our day in Lucca and a bike ride along the walls. It was a refreshingly quiet place after the tumult of Florence. We squeezed in a few hours in Pisa when we found a good train connection leaving Lucca, and spent some time there before returning from Pisa to Florence that evening. Frequent trains made it easy.

Posted by
56 posts

Hi Hanna - I recently did an all day wine tasting/cooking class with Accidental Tourist. I went with a friend and we both decided it was one of the best things we had ever done. Highly recommend it!

Posted by
112 posts

Most hotels have flyers advertising MANY day trips in the area. There are bike trips and bus tours to many of the well known hill towns, they usually include a trip to a vineyard. Much to see, too little time.

Posted by
215 posts

Hi, we loved Lucca. We spent a beautiful day there and enjoyed riding the bikes around the city on the wall. Just remember to be mindful of the time. We were there in June and by the time we rented bikes and road for a bit.. we were too late for lunch too early for dinner and a lot of places I would have liked to have visited closed for the afternoon. (we wanted to catch the 5 or 6 train back to Florence) also look at the schedule closely, on the way there we got on the train that made a lot of stops.. on the way back, it was faster with a more direct route.

We also took the Tuscany in a day tour and loved it. We were able to get a taste of Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa and we stopped for lunch at a winery and it was fantastic. (food and wine) I am not one that likes to take tours but this day was well planned and I felt like I was able to see a lot that I wouldn't have been able to without the tour. The price was very good too! 80E for the day it included the lunch and our children who were 10 and 12 were free.

let me know if you have any questions.