Please sign in to post.

day trips from Florence

We will be in Florence at the end of June, 2010. Would like to "day trip" to a couple places - considering San Gimignano, Siena, Vernazza/Cinque Terre -- we will have train access or bus, but no car. Suggestions? Too far to day trip to Cinque Terre?
Thx

Posted by
9 posts

I would like the same information too. I have booked 7 days in Florence for the end of April thinking that we can daytrip from there. We will be within 10 minutes of the train station. I was hoping to go to Cinque Terra and figured on spending the night there (even though we have a room in Florence). Also would like to see Sienna as well.

Posted by
10344 posts

Many travelers, here, find the bus from Florence to Siena somewhat more convenient than the train (using the bus you get off in Siena, whereas the train station is some distance from the Siena historic core).

"Too far to day trip to Cinque Terre?" Many travelers here find it (Florence to CT) too long for a day trip. The train travel times, plus waiting for the train, etc--doesn't leave you with a lot of time in the CT. But some do it as a day trip. Check out the train travel times at this site, and remember to add time for getting back to the station, buying tickets, waiting for the train, at both ends of the trip.

Posted by
50 posts

I took a side trip to San Gimignano/ Sienna when i was in Florence a couple of years ago. The hotel i was staying at booked the bus tour for me. The tour took us to both towns, i highly recommend going!
Tracy

Posted by
15585 posts

If you are not taking a tour, choose either San Gimignano or Siena. Because of the bus schedules (2 separate companies, not coordinated), it is generally too time-consuming to get from one to the other. I chose Siena, and it easily fills up a day.

Pisa is an easy day trip by train as well.

Posted by
316 posts

Be sure to use the bus to Siena rather than the train. You'll need a taxi to get to town from the train station but the bus will take you into Siena. U