Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Florence

We will be spending 6 days in Florence after a convention in Turin and I'd like to know if a day trip to Cinque Terre from Florence is a good idea. I understand the train/bus ride takes a while but I'd really like to see at least a couple of the towns.

Posted by
359 posts

it is possible but not necessarily recommended it makes for a very long day and the CT is best experienced by spending at least a night or two there lots of other day trip ideas from Florence that won't have you spending half a day on the train how about spending 4 days in Florence and 2 days in the CT
what time of year are you travelling?

Posted by
7737 posts

Since the CT are smack between Turin and Florence, how about spending a night or two in the CT after Turin but before you go to Florence?

Posted by
15 posts

We are sharing an apartment with others in Florence for the six days so we aren't able to change our arrangements at this time. We could perhaps go there and stay one night. We would be paying for two rooms that way but at least we can experience it. We are traveling in July. I know it's going to be hot but I have a convention in Turin first otherwise I wouldn't be traveling in the hottest time of the year.

Posted by
359 posts

well it's up to you if you want to make that trip or not, if you don't mind the travel time than go for it
July in Florence is generally very hot so a trip to the coast would be nice but of course rooms fill up quickly in the CT in summer so if you want to stay a night you should book asap

Posted by
7737 posts

Then just spend one night in the CT on your way to Florence and be one day late. Don't double back.

Posted by
6898 posts

For day-tripping out of Florence, probably the most popular is Siena and San Gimignano. Even Grayline has a bus that does this in one day. It's listed under CAF Tours. Next are two longer day trips - the CT and Assisi. The CT can easily be done in one day but you need to leave early and expect to arrive back in the evening. Here's my suggested routing for how you do this. One-Day Cinque Terre Visit
1) Depart Florence on the 6:10am train to Riomaggiore. You will arrive in Riomaggiore at 10:03am (1 train change at La Spezia Centrale). Unfortunately, there is a 1hr07min layover in La Spezia for the next local into Riomaggiore. You could go later on the 07:53 train from Florence. You'll arrive Riomaggiore at 11:18. Once in Riomaggiore, stop in the Tourist Information office in the train station and buy a 1-day Cinque Terre Treno card. This will permit unlimited train travel and access to the coastal trails. It's worth it. 2) walk down to the water's edge and look for the Via Dell'Amore coastal trail. Walk the trail to Manarola. This takes about 25 minutes and the trail is very level except for a few steps. Tour Manarola. It's now about 11:30. Take the second trail from Manarola to the Corniglia train station. This takes about 45 minutes. You don't need to tour Corniglia as its high up on a bluff. 3) From the Corniglia train station, take the local train to Vernazza. Its now about 1:00pm. Tour Vernazza. Have lunch either in Vernazza or in Monterosso. It's now about 2:00pm without lunch or 2:45pm with lunch. 4) Take the train from Vernazza to Monterosso. Tour both the old town and the new town. Its all fairly flat in Monterosso. Complete your touring about 4:00pm. You can then take the afternoon train from Monterosso back to Florence.