Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Bologna

My husband and I will be in Bologna from a Friday to Monday during our stay in Italy this July. I know there are some popular destinations relatively close by. We're particularly interested in Florence and Verona, but I'm concerned that neither destination would be worth the hassle of commuting 1-2 hours just to spend a few hours in the city. With Florence in particular I'm also worried about lines and crowds and whether a day trip would be too stressful to be worth it (we're also going to be in Rome and the Amalfi Coast before Bologna and I'm worried we'll be burnt out dealing with crowds and lines to popular tourist sites).

I'm also aware that cities like Parma and Modena are closer to Bologna and I assume they'll be less crowded.

Any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
200 posts

If you enjoy art and haven't seen the mosaics in Ravenna, that would be my top recommendation. They are stunning. I would spend the remainder of the time just taking in Bologna.

Posted by
11218 posts

Parma and Modena are Bologna’s best day trips, three cities known for their food connections.

Posted by
2491 posts

How about a 0:30 minute train ride north to Ferrara, for the day.

Don't forget to save some time for Bologna, crowds or not. One way to beat the crowds is get out there early in the morning - start walking those porticoed streets @ 6:30-7:00 in the morning - get a couple of hours on the soles of your feet THEN head back to your hotel for breakfast. The other draw to being out early, is being part of the city coming alive for another day.

Posted by
7364 posts

One idea is Reggio Emiglia if Saturday is still market day. But it's not as rich a destination as the other cities mentioned. If you have never been to Florence, it's pretty rewarding.

Posted by
307 posts

In 2018 we did Ferrara, Parma, Modena, Ravenna and San Marino as day trips from Bologna. San Marino is a little less convenient as the others.

Posted by
267 posts

Highly recommend "Italian Days" food tour from Bologna. Verona is a reach from Bologna as is Venice.

Posted by
307 posts

Agree with John. We did "Italian Days" food tour as well.

Posted by
1 posts

Another vote for Ravenna. The mosaics are extraordinary. All of the churches, baptismal fonts and the chapel on the "mosaics" group ticket are walking distance from each other in central Ravenna. The mosaics at the church in Classe are a short bus ride away -- the bus stop is in front of the train station. This is all explained in the Rick Steves guide to Ravenna. Ca de Ven, a restaurant recommended in the guide, is amazing. We asked for a platter of charcuterie, squacquerone cheese (a local soft cheese) and piadine, in addition to our lunch. For dessert we asked for the Rick Steves-recommended (and heavenly) almond/chocolate "brownie."

We used Bologna as our base for a weeklong trip to the Emilia Romagna region. Stayed at the Bologna UNA Hotel, which is near the train station yet very quiet. Great breakfast. We took day trips to Modena, Ravenna, Parma, Ferrara and Piacenza. Piacenza is further away on the Emilia Romagna train line (almost 2 hours away versus an hour for the other cities along the train line); it's closer to Milan than to Bologna.

Our visit to Piacenza was an unexpected trip highlight. We wanted to see the liver of Piacenza, an Etruscan bronze liver model used to teach seers in Ancient Rome how to "read" the livers of sacrificed lambs when predicting future events. The liver (fegato) is at the Civic Museum of the Farnese Palace in Piacenza. Also at the museum is the "Tabula Alimentaria Traianea," a very large bronze tablet from Roman times with the names of farmers who had been granted low interest loans in exchange for supporting children in need. Because there were very few visitors in the museum, we got a special tour. The docent showed us all his favorite items, sometimes taking us behind the scenes (secret passages inside the walls), until we finally arrived to the Etruscan fegato. Our lunch at Usteria la Carroza (near the train station) was as good or better than our museum tour.