Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Viareggio

Hi,
We will be staying in Lucca and would like to take a day trip to Viareggio (early August, will probably be a Monday). We are a party of 6 (3 teens & 3 adults) and have a few questions:

-- Which mode of transportation do you recommend from Lucca, train or bus (we have no car). I was told that the bus drops you right along the beachside promenade and the train station is a bit farther from the sea? So if we took a train, would we need to then hire a cab to get to some beach clubs. Not sure how feasible that is with 6 people.

--We were looking at Bagno Maurizio https://bagno-maurizio.business.site . Apparently it's a rather basic resort with changing facilities and vending machines and discount to a nearby restaurant. I heard it's about 25 euro for an umbrella and 4 chairs. Looking at Google it seems that we could take a non-stop train from Lucca and then walk 1.5K to Bagno Maurizio. (REG3098Viareggio 20 min (non-stop) Service run by TRENITALIA). I know almost nothing about Trenitalia, so is this a reliable plan? I hope I am looking at this right, is the trek from the train station an easy one? Also has anyone ever been to this resort?, the reviews seem good.

-- Could someone please tell me more about other Viareggio area beach clubs available for daily reservation? I understand that there a various beach names as well, please educate about some please. Was wondering if there are any other recommendations for beach clubs. We might be willing to spend a little bit more if it is a little less basic than Bagno Maurizio.

--How far in advance should we make reservations? We are going in early August, weekends at an Italian beach crazy busy like they are in the US in the summer? We are leaning toward going on a Monday.

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Sam

Posted by
15221 posts

Bus or train works. From the station you can also take a city bus. Or you can walk. It’s about 1km to Piazza Mazzini where the buses drop you, a 15 min walk.
The trek from the station is flat city streets. Done it many times in my youth.
Bagno Maurizio is one of the best, but there tons of them. A Bagno (literally a bath) is an establishment concession. There is one next to other for miles, basically without interruption. Do some search and choose any you like. The closer to Piazza Mazzini the shorter your walk from the station. You don’t need reservations. Just wing it. One thing to do in Viareggio is the passeggiata (stroll) on the promenade (with a gelato in hand of course). That is best done in the evening hours. So check the time of your last train to Lucca. Viareggio in August never sleeps, so your teenage kids might be tempted to stay out all night till the donuts are ready at the bakeries and the fishermen come back to harbor with the catch (ah, memories of my youth!)