Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Pompeii from Rome

Hi, I have a multi-day rail pass and would like to use one of the days to visit Pompeii from Rome. I've done some research and found out that I would need to take a train from Rome to Naples, then take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. I know the Circumvesuviana line is not covered by the Eurorail pass and I'd have to buy a seperate ticket for that, but can I use the rail pass for the Rome to Naples leg? If I can, do I need to make reservations? I am spending 4 days in Rome, but it's still up in the air which day I will be going to Pompeii so I'd like to wait to make any reservations. I am staying near the Termini Rail station and would like to start the Pompeii day trip from there. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
6898 posts

A properly validated pass would be good to Naples from Rome. If it's a Flexi pass, you might want to consider if burning up a day on your pass is worth it. A standard fare round trip is 39euro. If you buy early in Rome, you can get the "Amica" fare which is 20% less.

One slick option is to take a Viator day trip bus from Rome to Pompeii. The round trip and tour begins at $174 (13hr. round trip). There is a shorter 10hr shuttle service from $91. HERE'S THE LINK for this tour company.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Larry, I don't mind using it for Pompeii, Rome is the last city on our itinerary so it would go to waste if I don't use it. Will I need a reservation for my train ride from Rome to Naples?

Posted by
6898 posts

Cathy (spelled with a C like my sister), you will need a seat reservation but you don't need to do this much in advance. The Rome/Naples run is quite popular. There are about 10-12 high-speed trains a day leaving Rome for Naples before noon. Once you arrive in Rome (which I assume is a day or so before Pompeii), you can get your tickets and pay for the reservation fee at the ticket window (after showing your pass). Just be armed with the date and time that you want to travel in both directions. Write it down on a piece of paper and hand it to the ticket agent. He/she will process the ticket and the seat reservation. The tickets will have the date, time, train number, seat number and number of passengers on it. Just go to the window, flash your pass and get your tickets.