Please sign in to post.

Day Trip to Paestum

My family including teenagers will be staying in Sorrento for 7 nights the beginning of July. Our plan is to hire a driver for one day to take us to Paestum to visit a buffalo mozzarella farm and the Temples/museum. I was also hoping to visit a beach and/or another interesting town/site with the remainder of our day. I figure that if we are going to take the time/expense to explore the area I would like to see and do as much as possible. I would love any suggestions on other sites or activities to include in our day that would be interesting for teenagers. Thank you

Posted by
11613 posts

Paestum has a beach! There sre also mozzarella farms very nearby. The museum is not too large, but it is closed on Monday. You can get a combo ticket for the temples and museum.

Posted by
31 posts

Do you know if the beach in Paestum has services - chairs/umbrellas for rent similar to the beach clubs? I have read that the beach is nice, but can't find anything else about it. Also, do you know if Salerno would be worth a stop on they way back to Sorrento? I am just trying to utilize the day since we will already be paying for the driver to take us. Thanks,
Lisa

Posted by
667 posts

YAY Salerno! Sorry it seems like I only chime in on Campania topics... But I think this is the optimal way to get Salerno into your trip! Paestum can take as long as you want it, but I would say a morning or afternoon could be sufficient time in the area. If you were looking at some farms as well, you could be entertained for a while, ending your sightseeing around 5. Your driver could drive you back to Salerno to take a passegiata on the Corso (main shopping/commerce street which starts at the station) and the lungomare, the sea walk....it is great for people watching! The Duomo in the centro storico is great to see, there won't be many people in your way, be sure to go down to the crypt! There are some great restaurants that open around 7:30-8ish, specifically Trianon and la Tombola for pizza and CiCi Rinella for a full course dinner (its basically hidden behind the duomo-delicioso!!) and my favorite neighborhood restaurant, il Caminetto. Spending the afternoon/evening in Salerno with the driver to drive you back to Sorrento seems perfect.....its a little big city, not very touristy, but so charming and a glimpse into Italian life...

Posted by
667 posts

OH! And don't forget to wander around the centro storico while you are there!

Posted by
31 posts

Thank you for the information regarding Salerno. It sounds like it will make an interesting stop on our way back from Paestum.

Posted by
1626 posts

Hire the Monetti's taxi. Mentioned in RS book. Raffaele picked us up at our hotel, then drove us from Sorrento down the Almalfi coast, then to Paestum, and back to Sorrento. We stopped in Positano and Almalfi on the way to Paestum. We did this around 3 weeks ago on an Italian Holiday, so traffic cut our time a little short in Paestum. But if you want to just spend time in Solerno and Paestum, Raffael will take you where ever you want. If I remember right the drive from Paestum to Sorrento should have been around 2 hours (had we not ended up in Holiday traffic). He was very knowledgeable, and pointed out sights and history along the way that we would not have known about. The Taxi was a large Mercedes van, so big enough for your family.
monettitaxi17@libero.it