Please sign in to post.

Day Trip in Tuscany!

Hi!! I’m a student staying in Arezzo, and during this study abroad, we have a free day. I was thinking of renting a car and visiting Montepulciano, Pienza, and Val d’Orcia. Do y’all have any suggestions on food, wine, things to do? Or suggestions to visit different cities instead?

Posted by
8201 posts

As a student, I hope you're old enough to rent a car.

There are a number of great day trips other than those noted above. I especially like Orvieto and also Civita di Bagnoregio in Umbria.
You can also easily catch trains for day trips into Rome and up to Florence too.

Posted by
2872 posts

Per Auto Europe the minimum age for renting a car in Italy is 21, and drivers under 25 may have to pay a young driver surcharge of as much as 20 Euros per day.
Italian drink driving laws (and penalties) are pretty strict. I wouldn't include wine tasting as part of your day out unless you have a designated driver.
All that said, motoring around the Val d'Orcia, Pienza, and Montepulciano was a highlight for us during our last trip. You'll love it - just be sure to research parking and ZTL restrictions in advance.

Posted by
874 posts

Hello morganhausz, and welcome to the forum!

That sounds like an great way to spend a day. If the car rental thing doesn't work out I would suggest maybe other possible day trips of train(17min)+bus(10 min) to Cortona or bus to Siena (~1:15) both of which are relatively accessible from Arezzo.

And there is also Florence, of course, which is a very different experience but is an amazing place and is either 36min or just over an hour depending on which train you get.

I spent several days in Arezzo last year and I bet you'll have a great time there.

=Tod