Please sign in to post.

Day Trip from Venice

Hello, we will be in Venice for 4 nights, late October and are looking for a day trip to another town with an easy transportation connection to and from. I've considered Verona and want someplace quintessentially Italian but different from the Tuscan towns. I've done a few of the smaller towns in the past on a day tour (assolo, marrostica, basanno del grappa). Or goal is a relaxing day trip, not having an itinerary. Looking for some advice please, and thank you in advance!

Posted by
11613 posts

Padova is less than half an hour away by train, there's a morning market at Prato delle Valle. It's a very easy city to walk around in, some lovely piazza, and of course the Giotto frescoes at the Scrovegni Chapel (reservations required). Padova is a small city but with distinctive neighborhoods. Great food, too.

Posted by
355 posts

If you have not visited Burano, it makes an easy day trip and one that is pretty spectacular. This was my fourth trip to Venice but first to Burano and I'm really glad I finally made it. You can also stop at Murano or Torcello - or both. All are via Vaporetto, making it a very easy trip and inexpensive if you have a Vap pass. Burano is very relaxing and an amazing picture opportunity.

Posted by
110 posts

Zoe, I will look into Padua and see if my other half would rather go there. Would you suggest doing that over Verona? Also, we plan on getting over to Burano this time Kathryn. I've also been several times to venice and can't believe I haven't made it there yet. Definitely on the agenda!

Posted by
894 posts

Padova (Padua) a is a good choice as already mentioned. Also worth a look is the University, one of the oldest in Europe and with a very impressive list of alumni.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would choose Padova over Verona, but I've been to both many times. Padova would probably be less crowded as a daytrip destination. Definitely go to Torcello and Burano while you are in Venice (covered by vaporetto pass, as mentioned).

Posted by
110 posts

Thank you... I will look into what Padua has to offer this week when I have the time. I appreciate everyone's input!

Posted by
11294 posts

Padova is wonderful, and has the advantage over Verona of not being very touristed - a nice contrast from Venice. If you have Rick's Italy or Venice books, he has all the details of how to see it as a daytrip from Venice. The highlight is the Scrovegni Chapel, for which you need timed tickets; he explains how to get these, and how to plan your day around your Scrovegni reservation time.

Posted by
5225 posts

Wendi,

If you decide to visit Padova on your trip (October), you will most likely not need advance reservations for the Scrovegni Chapel.

Here is the website if you decide to make reservations: http://www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/index.php/en/

My mom & I were there this past October & we just walked up to the ticket counter & purchased our tickets.

We only waited about 15 minutes to enter & only a handful of people were there besides us.

When in Padova, you may also want to visit St. Anthony's Basilica (free entrance).

As Zoe explained above, it's an easy 26 minute train ride from Venice.

Once you arrive at Padova's train station, you can buy the tram ticket right outside the station (whitish portable)/ tabacchi shops or newspaper stands.

Walk across the street to take the tram (heading south) & get off at the 2nd stop ( Eremitani) to get to the Scrovegni Chapel (across the street)
Board the tram again, (across the street) after you visit the chapel & get off at 'Ponti Romani' if you want to walk through some piazza's on the way toward the Duomo.

If you want to visit St. Anthony's Basilica, you can walk there or take the tram again (we purchased the day ticket) & get off at 'Santo'-- turn left to reach the basilica or right to get to Prato della Valle.

Once you are done exploring Prato della Valle, go back into the city on Via Umberto & get the creamiest gelato at Gelato 'Pretto' :
http://www.gelatopretto.it

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
110 posts

How very helpful! Thanks so much! It's looking more and more like Padua is the better option. I've been wanting to go to Verona for some time but I fear that with the longer train ride and the city so big, this might make for a better day trip.