Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Venice

I find myself with an extra day in my itinerary for my trip next summer (myself, my wife and 2 teenage daughters) and am leaning towards spending the extra night in Venice. If we have an extra day in Venice, we would like to make a day trip out of town to see something else. I am trying to choose between Padua, which seems easy and very doable, and renting a car and doing a driving tour to the Dolomites, seeing as much alpine scenery as we can without spending too many hours in the car. Is it realistic to try to see the mountains in one day in and out of Venice? Has anyone done this, and what was your route?

Posted by
20002 posts

Its your vacation. Head north to Cortina D'Ampezzo. Plenty of eye popping scenery there, providing the weather is nice. If it is not, go to Padua. Take the A-27 to Ponte nelle Alpi, then Rt 51 to Cortina.

Posted by
2902 posts

If you head to Cortina d'Ampezzo, go just a little west of Cortina and take the beautiful Giau Pass (SP638) towards Selva Di Cadore and then head back to Venice.

Paul

Posted by
906 posts

It is 100 miles to Trieste, a place few go. Also, another 65 miles gets you Rovinj, Croatia. The Dolomites are good too.

Posted by
4794 posts

For just a one day jaunt I would not rent a car!! Too much hassle for too little benefit. Train to Padua is very easy and hassle free. After all, it is a vacation.

Posted by
7175 posts

A day in Padua
Giotto’s Scrovegni Chapel - Ticket also includes entry to the Eremitani Museum
The old centre with Duomo, Baptistery, Piazza dei Signori ,Caffe Pedrochhi, Palazzo Bo (university)
The markets nearby: Piazza della Frutta and Piazza dell’Erbe on either side of Palazzo della Ragione (law courts)
Basilica di Sant Antonio
The historical botanic gardens (Orto Botanico)
Gelato and late afternoon stroll around Prato della Valle

Posted by
15576 posts

If you rent a car, you'll want to pick it up the evening before, so you can get an early start. That means parking it overnight (and paying for it). If you can't pick up the car, do the trip and return the car within 24 hours, you'll have to pay for a 2-day rental and maybe even parking for 2 nights.

Verona is a little farther, but also a great day trip. I think it's a much nicer town than Padua and has more sights.

Posted by
254 posts

Verona is a great town for a day. Easily reached by train. You would hit the jackpot if you could see a performance at the amphitheatre there.