Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Rome to Pompeii

Our trip to Italy this September starts with 4 nights in Rome. We would like to take a day trip tp Pompeii from Rome. What is the best route and mode of transportation to take? We are not looking for a scenic route necessarily but most direct.

Posted by
265 posts

If you have the Rick Steves Italy or Rome book, just follow his directions. But here goes; from the Roma station take it to Napoli Centrale station (Naples). In the Naples station go to basement (lower level) and find the Circumvesuviana light rail, pay for the round trip to Pompei Scavi-Villa dei Misteri, get off there, walk outsiside of the station and walk right towards the entrance to Pompeii. Just reverse it to come back to Rome. The trip takes about two and a half hours From Rome to Naples unless you can get the express train which is about an hour and 15 minutes. And then about 45 minutes to Pompei Scavi. By car or bus I have no idea. So plan your time accordingly. I think we spent about five or six hours exploring, shopping and eating in Pompeii, about 12 hours total round trip. The Circumvesuviana is not that scenic (unless you love to read Italian graffiti) but it's quick and you will need the time to explore in Pompeii. The Circumvesuviana is a little seedy, so don't leave really late in the evening (you'll see...) and watch your valuables. We had no problems, but it did make me a little uneasy. Check the trenitalia.com web-site for schedules and fares. And just buy the train tickets at the train stations as you go along

Posted by
7737 posts

Be prepared for an exhausting day long ordeal. Consider nearby Ostia Antica if you want a similar experience, but much easier to do.

Posted by
253 posts

No question, the train is by far the most functional way to do this. It will be a long day, so I would start early. As stated, the train can take about two and a half hours, but the Circumvisuviana drops you at the entrance of Pompeii. On the return, be sure to observe which train takes you back to Naples, or you could end up east of Vesuvius. Not that this every happened to US!

Posted by
1018 posts

No matter what method you choose, prepare yourself for a long, hot day. Several years ago, while doing research for the upcoming trip, we found a company called enjoyrome.com. They are located very near Stazione Termini and it was a bargain, no frills bus transportation to and from Pompeii. We did not need to go to Napoli, transfer to the Circumvesuviana, and then watch for the correct stop. It was basically door to door service leaving from their office. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
238 posts

I've made this trip three times. The first time, by train, we did not use a guide in Pompeii (which is enormous) and wandered for hours. When we got back home, we realized we'd missed a few of the high points. The second time, we got with a group and used a private driver and tour guide, which was reasonable pricewise for a group but too expensive for just two people. The third time, last August, we left Rome by train at 6:45 and were standing outside the gates of Pompeii at 9:30. We had arranged for a private guide, and in just two hours, we had a better understanding of the site than we'd learned in two previous visits. We wandered around on our own for another hour, returned to Naples to eat, and then returned to Rome. We slept most of the way on the train and were refreshed for the evening when we were back in Rome!