Please sign in to post.

Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii

Hi. We want to take a BUS daytrip from Rome to Pompeii in October. Have read about the train routes. Any suggestions for bus tour companies? Other advice? Thanks,
Biff

Posted by
2373 posts

Did not take bus, took fast train about an hour and half to Naples, can't remember price but then took local train from Naples about half hour for about 5 euro to Pompeii. Easy. If you do this, be sure to get off at the proper Pompeii stop, I think it is the second one and the ruin are about 500 feet from train.

Posted by
8700 posts

Is there a particular reason you don't want to take the train? High-speed trains make the run from Rome to Naples in 1hr10min. Booked now on trenitalia.com, you can get a discount fare. It's a short and cheap ride on a Circumvesuviana commuter train from Naples to Pompei Scavi. According to viamichielin.com, it's a 3-hour drive from Rome to Pompei so you would have a long bus ride each way.

Posted by
2297 posts

I'm also wondering if there's a specific reason you prefer a bus. Is it for the tour guide? You can hire a tour guide for the ruins of Pompeii right at the entrance to the site for a very reasonable fee. And it will be your private guide and you won't have to worry about following him/her with a big crowd.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the various responses. Yes, I know the train is a logical choice and recognize the merits of timing, etc. We just prefer a simpler, and for us, easier method of transportation. Can anyone recommend a safe, reliable bus tour company for Rome to Pompeii? Thanks again.
Biff