Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Rome?

Hi all, We are two 20 year-olds taking our first trip to Rome to meet some friends for 9 days (not counting flight days). Our friends are taking us to another town for two days, so we have 7 days left to spend in Rome. We would like to use one or two of these days to take one or two day trips to possibly Florence or Amalfi/Sorrento or Pompeii/Naples.. we are also open to other suggestions.
Thank you for any advice!!

Posted by
23269 posts

There is nothing wrong with your suggestion except that those trips can be very, very long. Florence is more reasonable is easy to do a day trip. We enjoyed a trip to Tivoli Hadrian's Villa and the gardens at Villa d'Este. An easy day trip. Rick Steves' Rome book describes several day trips from Rome.

Posted by
7737 posts

I second that. Definitely get the RS Rome 2011 book. He lays out all the logistics for lots of day trips. Personally, we loved Ostia Antica. Very easy to get to, and much smaller crowds than Pompeii.

Posted by
6898 posts

There seem to be only long day trips out of Rome. You could get to Naples in a bit over an hour but that's it. Sorrento/Amalfi is 3.0hrs each way. Assisi is 2.5hrs each way. Florence can be as short as 1hr.35min on the high-speed. A R/T fare will cost you 90E ($125). Siena is 3.0hrs each way.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks all. I will pick up the RS Rome book this weekend. May I ask though, of a day trip from Rome you all particularly enjoyed, or that two 20 year olds would really enjoy? Thanks.

Posted by
15 posts

Ostia Antica and the nearby beach for the day would make a nice day trip.

Posted by
23269 posts

A better question is what do you enjoy now? It will not change when you get to Europe. Do you enjoy museums and art galleries now or prefer the beach? Or the architecture of old buildings or the history of ancient Rome?