Please sign in to post.

Day Trip From Rome

Please provide some suggestions for a day trip from Rome that we can access via the trains.

Thanks

Posted by
430 posts

Pompeii/Herculaneum and Ostia Antica are my top 2 picks.

Posted by
23 posts

Tell me more please about Ostia Antica.

Posted by
1288 posts

Ostia Antica are the ruins of a Roman Empire town just outside of Rome. Most people enjoy them because they are so accesible-you can walk and climb over all of them. There is a visitor's center there and the area is quite large. If you go by train, you usually enter by the back gate. Walk all the way up to the front and see the visitor's center first. Then make you was back to where you came in visiting all the ruins on the way. Some of the best stuff is up front, and you want to be fresh for that part. We did Ostia Antica in 1/2 a day.

Another great day trip is Orvieto. This is a wonderful hill town about 90 minutes from Rome (on an express train). Great Duomo, wonderfuly shopping and eating options, and getting back and forth could not be easier.

Posted by
430 posts

You could do Ostia Antica in the morning, then Ostia Lido for a beach afternoon.

Posted by
1446 posts

I love Orvieto. It's an easy day trip & there are quite a few interesting things to do in Orvieto. I loved the underground tour & just walking around & taking pictures. It was a nice change of pace after being in Rome for 5 days.