Please sign in to post.

day trip from Rome

Hello everyone. We will be traveling to Italy in August and have an extra day in Rome we would like to use for a day trip. We'd like to go somewhere that's much more laid back than Rome with some beautiful scenery and possibly on the water if at all possible. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

Posted by
3250 posts

Orvieto meets most of your requirements--it is much more laid back than Rome, has beautiful scenery, it about a 1 hour train trip from Rome--it's just not on the water!

Posted by
186 posts

I second the recommendation for Orvieto. Take the train from Termini --- takes about an hour. Orvieto is a beautiful town and well worth a day trip.

Posted by
87 posts

Look at Roninrome.com he has info on Tivoli and Orvieto, with detailed info. We toured with him for 2 days, and his advise and info has always been spot on.

Posted by
1127 posts

Another vote for Orvieto. The scenery is so beautiful you will not miss a sea view.

Posted by
255 posts

I would suggest a day trip to Anzio. Nice little town and on the water. Has a very nice, small WWII museum.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will look into them and figure out which town works best with our schedule and what we're looking for. Thanks again!