Please sign in to post.

Day Trip from Florence

Hello,

We are doing a nearly two week trip to Italy in the Fall of 2016.

Leg 1 Sat-to-Sat (1 week) at a farmhouse in Tuscany
Leg 2 Sat-to-Wed with a Thursday departure: Florence Hotel

Does anyone have a favorite day trip from Florence? We will have experienced the Tuscan hillside towns week one so no need to do a repeat while in Florence. I'm wondering specifically about the logistics of getting to:
Lucca? Bologna? Ravenna? Pisa? Arezza? Does anyone have a standout favorite town that isn't too hard to get to and once could get in a lunch and museum visit?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Posted by
11600 posts

Lucca! Short train trip, walk the wall (takes about an hour, maybe a bit more) or rent bikes. Lunch at Trattoria Gigi. Very good prices, everything fatto a casa. Lots of info on Lucca in Rick Steves' guide.

Posted by
27593 posts

My thoughts:

Ravenna: Loved, loved, loved it. It was a combination of things: 5 or 6 churches with truly stunning mosaics. All but one easily walkable; the last is a short trip out of town on a public bus. I'm almost crying, thinking about the beauty of those mosaics, and I am not remotely religious. The core of the town itself is lovely and very nice to wander in. There were amazingly few tourists there in mid-July, given the attractiveness of the destination. And the Tourist Office was very helpful. Train time roughly 2 to 2-1/2 hours; it seems not to be on a major rail line--probably keeping the number of visitors down. This would be my first choice unless the idea of seeing the mosaics makes you roll your eyes.

Bologna: Large city with huge historic district. English-language walking tour available from the T.O.; don't remember how frequently. Many of the medieval streets are arcaded, so there's some weather protection. Museums if you need to escape the weather. Big foodie destination. Major university town; you may get lucky and run into graduation celebrations.

Lucca: Lovely, walled. As I recall, you can walk all the way around the town on top of the wall. There's something special about that, to me. I only had 2 or 3 hours there and want to go back.

Pisa: I've only made a quick stop to see the tower; my mother insisted. Last summer I met two residents of the city on the train. They sounded really frustrated that no one ever sees anything in Pisa other than that one area. They said Pisa has a pretty historic district. I haven't sought to verify that, but I will certainly do so before I next visit that part of Italy.

Arezzo: I visited for a day from Orvieto. Got lucky and hit a large outdoor antique market, which was fun. I don't know whether that market is weekly or monthly. I visited on a Saturday. There's a sizable historic area good for wandering but I'd say it's not as attractive as Ravenna's.

With just a bit of research you should be assured of good food in any of those cities. I suggest not eating near the tower in Pisa, though!

Posted by
1893 posts

Don't take the train from Florence to Siena, use the bus. If you take the train, you then have to take a taxi to the city center, if you take the bus, you are dropped off right there. Siena can easily fill a full day with the church, the side streets, the main piazza, the tower to climb...

Bologna is a day trip, about 2 hours away, if you want to eat, it's a great place, plus you have one tower to climb to see the rooftops.

Lucca is beautiful, rent a bike and ride the city walls, also a tower to climb to see the city from up high.

Pisa is fun and easy, if you haven't actually seen the tower and the church, then go for sure!

Posted by
251 posts

Last summer I did a two day trips from Florence using CAF Tours. I did a half-day trip to Pisa which I loved. I wish I would have spent more time actually walking through Pisa because they have a pretty historic town district and a really cool mural in the town center done by Keith Haring. We also did a day trip to Cinque Terre. We considered doing Bologna but didn't have enough time for that. I would look at each city and see what they have to offer (museums, dining, famous sites, etc.) and chose from there.

Lucca and Pisa are relatively close, so you could potentially do both of those cities in a day and choose either Ravenna or Arezza for a full-day trips.