Please sign in to post.

Day Trip from Florence

Hello all, I'm going to Italy for the first time in 9 days! Yay! I just decided (yesterday) that I would like to take a day from Florence and visit the Tuscan countryside. Siena, Chianti, or anywhere else. I found this tour by Walks of Italy, which sounds amazing. But it also sounds like they're cramming a lot into one day. I don't mind just getting a small taste of all 4 of the towns mentioned, I just don't want to be traveling to each destination longer than we're actually in each town. Has anyone done this tour before? Or a different Walks of Italy tour?

Also, is doing that sort of tour on our own possible? Not necessarily to 4 towns, but maybe to Siena and Chianti? Or even Monteriggioni? It looks beautiful. So instead of doing the tour and being on a time schedule, we can just take our time and leave when we want? Hit another town if we have time? And if this is possible, what is the best way to get there? Trains? Buses? We won't have a car.

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Posted by
15161 posts

You can visit those locations by bus, however without a car you won't be able to pack them all in a day like that tour does.
Driving times for the proposed loop (without including stops):
Florence to Siena via Chianti Road: 2 hr drive
Siena to Monteriggioni: 25 min
Monteriggioni to San Gimignano: 30 min
San Gimignano to Florence: 60 min
By bus it's much longer.

Posted by
105 posts

Marie,

I did this same tour with Walks of Italy last year. It seems like a lot for 1 day, but it was fun and well organized. It gives you a good idea of areas you like and may want to visit for a longer stay next time. Since this is your first time to Italy, I think you will enjoy it.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for the reply, Linda.

Do you remember how long you were in each town? Did it feel like enough time to not feel rushed and enjoy yourself?

Posted by
105 posts

Sorry Marie, the one I took was actually WalkaboutFlorence. It's the same itinerary and a little cheaper than the Walks of Italy tour. The amount of time in each town wasn't long, especially for Siena. At the end of the day, you feel like you've experienced a lot, though. The lunch at a winery/farm was nice.