Please sign in to post.

day tours from Florence

We are now leaning towards a trip to Italy that would include 5 days in Florence.we walk slowly and my wife at times uses a cane.
We wanted to join a group tour to either Sienna, Pisa and maybe The Tuscan countryside.but we are concerned that with our mobility problems this could be an issue.
Any thoughts?
Thank you

Posted by
37 posts

Siena is a wonderful city, but it can be quite hilly. Most people would probably suggest Lucca and Pisa as nice day trips. Lucca is very flat, and if you go up one of the gradual ramps to the ramparts, that's flat as can be. There are multiple points to get off (I think it's ~ 4km round trip) so you don't have to do the full circuit. The city itself is very charming, though the crush of daytrippers can be a bit much (though this also goes for Siena!). Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
308 posts

I am not sure how "slow" you may move but I would advise against joining a group tour if you think you move more slowly than the average person. Oftentimes, the guide is on a tight schedule and will not have time to slow down the tour for you. I'd hate for you to book a tour and not be able to enjoy or see anything because you are too busy trying to keep up with other people's pace. Perhaps you should consider a private tour with a guide. That way the guide is solely focused on you and your wife and your enjoyment of the tour.

Posted by
8124 posts

Another option for those that are somewhat mobility challenged is to find a driver/tourguide to take you around.

So many of the great tourist sights in Tuscany are off the beaten path--and not on the rail lines.

An automobile allows you to see so much more than if you were on an organized bus tour.

Posted by
11613 posts

For touring in Florence itself, the RS walking guide is very good. You could rent a car or hire a driver for daytrips; a driver will not be a tour guide per se, but will probably give some narration/information about what to do/see, and you are on your own until you are picked up to return to Florence.

Posted by
43 posts

I'm thinking that for a day trip to Pisa the best idea might be take the train and then do the hop on hop off tour