Please sign in to post.

Day tours from Florence

We will be spending 3 nights in Florence in September. The first day we will have traveled from Venice;I am hoping to arrive by 12 noon. The next day we would love to take a day trip/ tour to a town in Tuscany. Can anyone recommend a good company?
Also, I thought I had seen a map that has approximate train travel times either on this website or in RS Italy. I can't seem to find it. Was I imagining this?

Posted by
1994 posts

The Deutsche Bahn website is the best source for train travel times, since it gives exact times for available departure times/types of trains. When you go into it, select your country as UK (or some other English-speaking country other than the US) to avoid being directed to Rail Europe, which is more expensive and doesn't seem to always have full information.
Also, depending on your interests, 3 days doesn't seem like much time in Florence (unless the art/architecture aren't of interest); you might want to plan your Florence time before deciding on a day trip. That said, I've had great experiences with Context Florence (and have used them multiple times in various cities in Europe).

Posted by
113 posts

Thanks Sherry, I just went to the DB Bhan website, and I must be doing something wrong. I keep getting an error message. Our itinerary is as follows: 9/7 Arrive Milan 8:45 pm. 9/8 See Duomo in Milan, then train to Varrena. Stay one night. 9/9 Travel to Venice 9/10 Venice 9/11 Venice 9/12 Venice 9/13 Travel to Florence 9/14 Florence 9/15 Florence 9/16 Travel to Rome 9/17 Rome 9/18 Rome 9/19 Rome 9/20 Depart from Rome
My Husband and I do look forward to seeing the Uffizi & the Accademia. I am just now trying to see what is going to be feasible. The reason I thought it might be nice to go on a day trip, is that while we love art, 3 solid days in museums might be more than we want.

Posted by
4152 posts

You can go to the trenitalia website and enter your cities, dates and time to see what the schedules are. They will list all the trains between the cities you choose including the high speed trains and the regional trains. http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD I'm not sure I would do any type of day trips with such a short time in Florence unless you've already been there before. Donna

Posted by
24 posts

Hi Cynthia, My recommendation - http://www.slow-days.com/ I doubt there is another tour out there that would give you such an authentic experience of Tuscany and the chance to meet the people who live there. Buon Viaggio