Please sign in to post.

Day in Milan

Hi- Will be flying into Milan mid afternoon (Sept) and then heading to Varenna the following day by train. Would like ideas on where to stay reasonably, getting about and sights to see. This is my first trip to Italy!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! One comment about the Last Supper being closed-- tickets are available at many sites - at least during Sept when I am going.

I saw Hotel Star and a few others within my price range for 1 night. I am looking in the central historic district. I do have a concern about getting from the train station to the hotels- any thoughts on that? I don't mind a nice walk but will be schlepping luggage when I arrive on the first afternoon. Yes, I do understand about hallucinating! I too, will probably be wired, wiped out - or both- but very happy to be in Italy.

Posted by
951 posts

I am flying into Milan Nov 25. I am also just staying there for a night and then I am off to Florence. I get in 8:30 am. I really do not have much planned, as I know I will be tired. But I will be making a reservation for The Last Supper, I will be touring the Duomo and its museum. If I have time and am not hallucinating (I will not sleep on the plane and I may just start to hallucinate late afternoon after my arrival), maybe I will check out the Sforza castle. That is my official plan. I will walk around, maybe see an art museum but that is about it. I think I will hit up happy hour and the free appetizer buffet at Bar Brera.

I booked a room in Hotel Star. It looks tacky as can be, unless you like murals of leopards, elephants, and tigers hanging over your head as you try to sleep at night. But it was really the best value for a 1 night stay. Some of RS listings did not allow for a 1 night stay. And those that did were 200 euro or way more. I booked a superior double for 104 euro. It may sound like a lot but it was the best deal for a 1 night stay close to the metros and the duomo.

Posted by
4 posts

Sorry I read that wrong- or had brain drain - or both. I was referring to the Last Supper being open, not the Duomo.

Posted by
1003 posts

We stayed at Hotel Berna in July 2009 as we were flying out of Milan. It is a lovely hotell and we would definitely stay here again as it is only a few blocks from the train station and metro stop. They have a wonderful breakfast buffet which was included with the room. I booked online more than 30 days in advance for the best rate. I believe we had "superior" rooms.

Posted by
133 posts

I also stayed at Hotel Berna and was very happy there. 5 min walk from the train station. The metro is a block away and will get you to the Duomo in 5 min. We took it there and then walked back to the hotel. We also saw The Last Supper, the Galleria, La Scala and Sforza Castle, but we had two days in Milan, not one. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
8947 posts

We loved walking around Milan, lovely parks, lovely old neighborhoods, great street markets, and the castle was cool looking.

Our favorite thing in Milan besides the Duomo and the Galleria was the Leonardo Da Vinci Science Museum. We spent several hours there and my husband and I really liked it. They have a transportation section too, with ships, planes, trains. If anyone has kids, I think they would really like it.

http://www.museoscienza.org/english/