Please sign in to post.

Cruise ship schedule for October, 2024

We are planning Venice for 4 nights next October of 2024 and I am trying to arrange our trip to coincide with no cruise ships in port. From what I see on cruisetimetables.com, it looks like there is a 4 day period after October 21 to October 25. Can anyone verify this for me? TIA! It's my second visit, my husbands first and he is very crowd adverse, so want him to fall in love like I did 40 years ago!

Posted by
4420 posts

I see the same thing, but don't forget Ravenna where some ships dock now. It looks like one small ship on the 21st and by 2024 maybe somewhere closer will be ready for docking. Even so, when we were there in 2017, after 4:00 Venice empties out again.

Posted by
2594 posts

FWIW, this site shows ships arriving on Oct. 21 and 24. You might also check the Venice Biennale Arte schedule as I believe some things run until November. The current schedule isn't very detailed though. Also the Google says the Venice marathon is October 27.

Posted by
135 posts

I found cruise ships on the 21st and the 25th. Nothing in between. However, check Trieste and Ravenna. Venice has restricted most large cruise ships from their harbor so cruise lines are docking at Trieste or Ravenna but calling it Venice on their itineraries. Some lines are being honest and putting the actual port, ie. Trieste or Ravenna on their itineraries. Its a 2 or 3 hour bus ride from those ports to Venice. Lots of complaints and comments on cruisecritic.com
Wish I could be more helpful but the Venice situation is very confusing.

Posted by
2377 posts

hey hey Tammy
i agree with Donna and Robbie. very few ships dock in venice proper, they offer chioggia (about 37 miles away), trieste (about 2 hours away) and ravenna (2 to 3 hours bus ride away)
had friends that weren't happy with that situation, either changed cruise or started in venice and ended at another port. like Robbie says, many complaints about the issue of a day trip to venice taking a lot of the day for transportation, the cost for private taxi there.
some need to bus/taxi to bologna then to venice from port.
so happy we did our two cruises out of venice 5+ years ago. we stayed 5 - 6 days in venice to enjoy roaming around, cruising to murano and burano, overnighter to lago di garda (bardolino) for annual wine festival.
hoping all works out for you, take a walk thru canareggio neighborhood and the back sides, do a chichetti tour with alessandro (schezzini.it), email him. gobble gobble
aloha

Posted by
76 posts

One of the magic things about Venice is the crowds. If you don't like crowds then wander around after midnight.

Posted by
7299 posts

I'm kind of sceptical as to how much the cruise ships really add to the crowds in Venice, especially now the ships are porting outside Venice. In a city as popular as Venice do 2,000 or so people from a ship really make that much difference- especially as they are probably not all coming into the city now.
They are not introducing the tourist tax (when they do) just because of cruise ships, but overall numbers.

Posted by
27609 posts

Yes, it seems there are about 100,000 hotel beds in Venice. I assume that includes Venice-Mestre and Marghera, where some of the clients may be business folks not making tourist visits to Venice proper, but it still seems the land-based tourists swamp cruisers.

Posted by
111 posts

We just took a Viking trip 3 weeks ago that docked in Ravenna but had many of its excursions going to Venice. We opted for Bologna though, since we have been to Venice several times and it was CRAZY crowded...but still beautiful and worth going if your husband has never been.

Posted by
2102 posts

I sail Norwegian and NCL has moved their cruise ships to Trieste or Ravenna.

So you may see less ships but you will still see cruise passenger.s They will pre cruise or post cruise in Venice. There will be lots of shore excursions between Trieste and Venice and Ravenna and Venice..

This is going to add to vehicle traffic on the roads.

So the ships may be gone from Venice but the problem of over tourism persists.

Posted by
5395 posts

We stay in the Cannaregio area of old Venice, on the small back canals, which is beautiful and quiet, all day. You can take sunset pix without people in your shots. It's a ten minute walk to two vaporetto stops, one of which is on the Grand Canal. So you can explore the popular spots, which are crowded, and return to Cannaregio, and have peaceful walks and wine sitting along the canals.
Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
1770 posts

Relying on cruise ship landings to create an optimized trip is futile in my opinion. The dates are 11 months from now! The spoiler is ship schedules change all the time and the ships are only one element contributing to the crowds. You're putting your enjoyment at the mercy of ticket sales, world events, changing trends, port problems, weather, volcanoes, union strikes, pandemics, and more. Better to create the trip you would like and nurture the enjoyment of serendipity.

Posted by
3469 posts

Thank you to everyone that responded. Perhaps I overestimated the impact on crowding from the cruise ships. I was also hoping there was just one website that showed the cruise lines schedules, but that also may not be as simple as I hoped.

Posted by
4420 posts

I don't know what the current numbers are but in 2019, only 7% of the 27,000,000 visitors to Venice were from cruise ships.