Please sign in to post.

Critique my itinerary please

A little about us: 2 people, love the outdoors, want to see some museum but not alot. We live in the Colorado Mnts.
We are arriving from Switzerland into Italy. We have a eurail pass.
Varenna-1 nt--but we cannot seem to find affordable lodgeing as of yet. That was our last place to add to the calendar. Is Varenna worth paying alot to stay there for1 night if we have the money or are there better alternatives around the lake or elsewhere from Interlaken to Venice?
Venice-4 nights-arrive later the 1st day leave very early the last day. I do not have any special things to see in Venice--any must dos since we will have time?
Florence-3 nights-day 2 of 3 travel the Tuscany hillside by car or scooter. Any suggestions on either choice? We have Uffizi tixs for day 1 at 1430 and The David at 9am the next day then we will rent a scooter and travel the tuscan hllside. Would getting out of Florence by 11 less than ideal? We can change/skip the David if we should leave earlier to experience Tuscany without having to hurry.
Cinque Terre-4 nights. Our beach vacation. Hiking loungeing.
Rome-2 nights. Not alot of time but thats how it ended up. We were planning on taking the hop on hop off bus for the time we will be there. How late do they run?
Well Id love your suggestions! Much appreciated in advance.

Posted by
13 posts

I was kind of joking when I said CT would be my beach vacation. We are not much interested in the beach. Just seeing the water will be nice.

Posted by
113 posts

My suggestion would be to reduce Venice from 4 nights to 3, so you can add more time to Varenna or Rome. My other thought is that you're braver than I am if you are considering driving a car or scooter in Florence. If you want to explore the Tuscan countryside by car or scooter, I would choose a less hectic city as the home base -- perhaps Siena, which is only a 75-minute bus ride from Florence.

Posted by
13 posts

I was thinkong of taking the train to Sienna than renting the scooter/car to eliminate having to drive in/out of Florence. Is that doable?

Posted by
10344 posts

Your idea of renting a car to see Tuscany is the best one. Some travelers find driving a rental car in Tuscany too stressful and use public transportation, but Tuscany is one of the few places in Italy where renting a car probably makes sense for many. You're not the first person to come up with the idea to drive a scooter or vespa in Italy, but so far we've not had anyone say they actually did it. Most people find driving a car exciting enough and at least you have steel around your fragile body.We try to be supportive of travelers' ideas but when it comes to safety issues where you may be blind-sided by traffic conditions you didn't anticipate based on your experience here, some of us just refuse to say the easy thing, which is "anything you can think of doing, you should do, go for it." Especially when we ourselves have not done it. The advice given here in the past, by people who ride cycles/scooters here, is at least 90 to 10 in favor of trying to warn you that conditions in Italy will be MUCH different than doing the same thing here. It will be way different than watching Samantha Brown ride a vespa on one of the Greek Islands where there aren't many cars on the road.Ron from Rome commutes on a motorino and has written a descriptive piece, here a few months ago, on what riding a scooter in Tuscany would be like for you. I can't find it but you might want to use the Search function (upper right) to locate it.

Posted by
23547 posts

What are the dates of your trip? Might make a difference in what is recommended.

Posted by
1589 posts

Listen to Kent re the scooter dream. The CT area will not offer much under the heading of " beach time ", but is certainly a must see for hiking.

Posted by
13 posts

The date I would like to travel through Tuscany is Sept. 21, a Sunday.

Posted by
13 posts

Dates: We arrive in Italy on September 16 and depart out of Rome on Sept. 29, 2008.

Posted by
113 posts

Note that some car rental offices will be closed on Sundays, so you would have to pick up your car either Saturday or Monday.

Posted by
223 posts

If the CT is going to be your beach vacation, Montorosso is probably the best choice. It has the most accessible beach.

Posted by
192 posts

When in Venice, avoid the tourist sites (Piazza San Marco, Rialto bridge) while the mobs of daytrippers are there - 9:00 to 5:00. A drink at a cafe in the Piazza after they have gone is wonderful. Spend the day wandering the rest of the city or touring the islands in the lagoon. If your are just planning on seeing some of the Tuscan countryside and not going to the hilltowns, a scooter may do - a little dangerous but it is doable. A car will be needed if you want to see some of the hilltowns, but if you only have a day I would take the train to whatever town you want to see.