Please sign in to post.

critique my itinerary

After hours of research, and trying a lot of options. I have come up with this for our 60th birthday 25th anniversary trip: Tell me what you think:
Fly into Milan- take private transfer to Bellagio
Bellagio, Italy - 3 nights
Train to Luzern Switzerland- 3 nights with possible day trip to Lauterbrunnen Valley- would like to see the mountains, but don't care about taking lift to the top.
Train to Geneva Switzerland-taxi to Annecy, France- 2 nights
Train to Paris- 2 nights (been several times) Fly home from Paris
We are obviously looking for a trip that is less about sightseeing and more about ambiance and beauty. What do you think?
We are fit and active and pretty familiar with trains in Europe. Although my husband refuses to rent a car or drive there.
Thanks!!!!

Posted by
4825 posts

Since this is "... less about sightseeing and more about ambiance and beauty." I would have to say it looks quite good. If possible, do work in the Lauterbrunnen Valley as it is truly spectacular.

Posted by
4152 posts

For me it's too much travel for too little time. I know you aren't looking for site seeing but two nights in a location means you'll only have one full day there. I wouldn't want to travel hours for just a single day in a location. You have 4 locations listed in 3 countries and only 10 days to visit them. I would cut out at least one, if not two, stops and take it a little slower. It's easier to enjoy the ambiance and beauty if you're not continually packing, unpacking, rushing to and from the train station and riding on the train.

Donna

Posted by
94 posts

two things come to mind-if you've already been to Paris, why go back.. yeah, yeah, i know it's Paris but two night here and there are going to leave you dazed.
and the second thing-if you've already been to Paris...

Posted by
51 posts

Well I have to fly out of Paris because I was able to get a direct flight back to DFW on Advantage Miles. I also think there is always a lot to do there.

Posted by
16893 posts

I don't think that your plan is necessarily moving too fast (except that I can always use more time in Paris). The view from the top of Schilthorn mountain lift is fabulous and all mountains for 360 degrees around. Travel time from Luzern to the top of Schilthorn is 3.5 hours. Mornings may have more clear light, so start early for a daytrip. The view is also great (but only 180 degrees) from halfway up the mountain at Muerren or Gimmelwald. On the other side of the valley, the train to the top of Jungfraujoch takes longer and costs more. Of course, Luzern has its own, closer mountain peaks.