Please sign in to post.

Critique my itinerary

We will be spending two weeks in Italy/Paris this winter, and it's time to nail down our dates and put in for the vacation time. This is what we have for now. CT is iffy, due to traveling in winter. We will probably wait to make arrangements for those days until very near our travel dates, depending on the weather.

Depart Wednesday, Nov. 24
Arrive in Rome, Thursday Nov. 25
Nov 26-Rome
Nov 27-Rome
Nov 28-Rome
Nov 29-train to the Cinque Terre
Nov 30-CT
Dec 1-train to Florence, stop in Pisa
Dec 2-Florence
Dec 3-Florence
Dec 4-train to Paris
Dec 5-Paris
Dec 6-Paris
Dec 7-Paris
Dec-8-Return home.

We want to have time to see the major sights and relax in each city. We are flying open jaw so we don't need to worry about getting back to Rome at the end. We're definitely open to suggestions on destinations that are better in the winter than CT.

Things will change/firm up between now and travel time, but does this time frame look like realistic timing for a relatively relaxing trip?

Thanks!

Posted by
251 posts

Is there a reason you are visiting CT before Florence and backtracking like that? Is it due to days of the week lining up (so that sights in Florence are open)? Or there's possibly a certain overnight train you are looking to catch? Or are you looking to split up the cities with a more outdoor/town-like setting? I just ask, because if none of these apply, then I would recommend doing Florence before Rome because otherwise you are just backtracking and spending that much more time on the train. And if the reason for it being as such is that you're looking at an overnighter from Florence, I'm sure there's an overnighter you could catch from Genova, which is near CT and still on the way to Paris. That way you're always heading in the right direction and not back tracking.

Just an initial thought.. otherwise I like how you've split your time. Have fun!

Posted by
3 posts

I read on another website (I think about.com) that it was easiest to go Rome-CT-Florence, but I haven't really checked into it. We chose this way mostly because we wanted to split up the "city" time. It has been years since I visited Rome but I remember it being kind of overwhelming. Now that we're older and have traveled more that feeling might be diminished.

I haven't looked at the train schedules in earnest, but I also assumed it would be easier to get a train to Paris from Florence than from CT. Geographically, it does make sense not to backtrack though! I will have to check that out.

Posted by
251 posts

Yeah I'd check that out. The only reason I would think to train to CT before Florence would be if you are going to Venice afterwards. But otherwise, it would make sense not to backtrack. Training from Rome to Florence only takes an hour and a half on the Eurostar. Training from Rome to CT takes at least 4 hours. From Florence to CT is 2.5 hours, and Pisa is on the way, so you can stop and sightsee there for a break mid-way.

You can look at the TrenItalia website for Italy train schedules, and you can check the Bahn website for international train schedules. But I'm sure there's a train from Genova to Paris.

So, just so you don't backtrack, I'd go to CT after Florence, unless of course you want to split up Rome and Florence with a small town stop, or there's a better train schedule to Paris from Florence or something. But be sure to check out Rick's guidebook (or some other guidebook) and make sure you will be in Florence on days when the sites are open (because the museums are closed certain weekdays). So this could also come into play in deciding which stop you will make first. Either way, enjoy!

Posted by
15585 posts

If OP needs to end in Florence, why go from Rome to Florence to CT and BACK to Florence?

Instead of CT, maybe stay in Rome and take a day trip to Ostia Antica or Hadrian's Villa. Then add a day in Florence for a day trip to Siena.