Please sign in to post.

credit cards

will there be a problem using my mastercard in italy?

Posted by
203 posts

Shouldn't be, but be sure to call the bank that issued your mastercard and alert them to your international travel dates so that their fraud department doesn't freeze your account when it sees the card being used overseas. I would suggest you take a backup credit card ortake your ATM card just in case that one has a problem or is stolen or lost.

Posted by
791 posts

If it's a plain ole' magnetic strip type you'll have probs at unattended gas pumps and possibly some parking machines (if you'll be driving...always keep cash handy in case) and ticket machines.

Posted by
1127 posts

Ron's advice, as always, is right. Keep in mind that stores won't take credit/debit cards for small purchases. Plan on spending at least 20-25 euro if using a card.

Posted by
7737 posts

And a lot of places won't take credit cards at all. Italy is much more a cash-based society than is the US.

Posted by
791 posts

True. Alot of smaller places won't take cc's at all and I've also had the experience a few times of lines going down so you can't use the cc even if accepted. Always keep some cash as a backup.