Please sign in to post.

Covid Testing

For those of you who have already been over to Italy while testing is required for US entry, I was wondering if the Wi-fi is strong enough in the hotels in Rome to do the eMed Binax virtual Covid testing? Or, if we go to a Pharmacy for the test, do we need to make a reservation with the pharmacy ahead of time?

Posted by
7 posts

I have the same questions. How do we know where to go to get tested in Rome for re-entry to the US? Will the RS tour guide know where we should go to get tested? Do we need to have an appointment set up ahead of time?

Posted by
6194 posts

We had very good Wi-Fi in all the places we stayed.

We actually took the Emed proctored tests with us but ended up just going to a nearby pharmacy, no appointment needed, 23 euros, 20 min

Your hotel can direct you to a pharmacy or use Google maps and search for one near your final hotel
Email them and ask if they do testing and if appointment is needed

If you are on a RS tour I am sure the guide will know where you can get tested and will assist with that.

We also brought some regular self tests and tested 2 days before our official departure test
We were negative both tests but if that self test had been positive we would have been able to get ourselves ready for isolation

Good luck!

Posted by
19 posts

We had no trouble doing the online proctored tests in Padova and Milan.

Posted by
1222 posts

How about ease of finding testing options on a Monday in Venice? Easy or would virtual proctored testing be better?

Posted by
15236 posts

The only day when fewer pharmacies are open is Sunday. However every district of a city must have one open on a rotating basis. Mondays are not a problem.

Posted by
14 posts

Although not Rome, we are currently in Sorrento and the pharmacies I inquired with say walk-in testing is available and easy.

I did bring ihealth kits (free ones in US) , but online proctored testing is sold out and pharmacy walk in is much easier (for us at least). When you get to your final city, inquire with a few places close by to get an idea of availability.

Posted by
117 posts

We scouted out pharmacies a few days in advance to get a sense of where the closest ones to where we were staying were that did testing. We walked in, filled out the form, paid, took the test, and had our results all within 30 minutes. About 25-30 minutes after leaving the pharmacy we had the results in our email that we could upload to the United app.

Hotels and AirBNB hosts can give you recommendations on where to go to test in person.

Posted by
30 posts

We tested with the Binax proctored test September 2021 in Rome two days before our flight back to the US. It was super easy, efficient and we did it in our room at Hotel Santa Maria in Trestavere. We had results and QR code etc within 30 minutes. There are also numerous pharmacies in Rome to test. We are headed back in ten days and are taking are Emed tests with us again.

Posted by
2197 posts

We just finished our RS tour in Rome. The guide gave us several options: the airport, a walk-in test close to our hotel near the Vatican and another, cheaper option a few blocks farther away. The cheaper options was 12e if we booked online, but a few euros more if we’d just walked up. We booked online, which was very easy. I’m not sure our hotel Internet would have been strong enough to support a proctored test. After a month on the road, the boxes for the proctored test had squished open and I’m not sure if they would have been allowed. Everyone on our tour that departed for home today tested negative.

Posted by
32 posts

Good info to know for our upcoming trip as well. Thanks all.

Posted by
2428 posts

Yay, Patty. Glad to know you tested negative and get to go home. We also took the BinaxNOW tests with us and they were crushed and unusable after a month on the road. The test at the pharmacy in Naples was a walk-in and cost 15 euros. Our guide walked us over and waited with the 5 of us getting tested (all of us negative). Don’t waste your money or time on the BinaxNOW tests.