After RS 9 day Heart of Italy Tour ends in Florence morning of June 21, I have reservations in Cortona at Hotel San Luca for 3 nights.
Although I'm allowing time to relax there and just stroll around the main square and sampling good food, I do want to schedule some activities away from the square.
- Is there anyone with experience in Cortona that can suggest things to do and see around the area.
- I'm open to walking, biking, hiking, renting a car, regional trains.
- By train, is a day trip to Sienna, returning to Cortona by nightfall, feasable?
- Other day trips by train.
- Easy car day trips, where the driving would be country driving, not much traffic.
My interest in Cortona came from watching the movie Under The Tuscan Sun -- movie was fun, and Cortona seems like a nice, peaceful (but active), very old Tuscan hill town with a lot of history. Is my impression correct, and choice to visit there a pretty good choice?
And of course, one activity would be to take a walk to the house featured in the movie - I think it is close to the town, a couple of miles.
Any comments will be appreciated ------ Thanks, Jim.