Please sign in to post.

cortona

We are looking into renting an apartment for 1 week through VRBO, it is in Pergo, very close to Cortona. We will have a car. Is this a reasonable location to do day trips to other hill towns? We also will want to spend a day in Florence. Would the Chianti area be better?

Posted by
4555 posts

Florence is only a 90 minute drive from Cortona....but BEWARE THE DREADED ZTLs IN FLORENCE. These no-go zones for non-permitted cars could cost you a small fortune in fines. Besides, parking in Florence is atrocious. There's a regional train about once an hour from Cortona that goes right to Santa Maria Novella station downtown, and takes about the same amount of time. Take the train instead, and save yourself a lot of grief.

Posted by
1449 posts

from pretty much any town in the area you can do day trips. If you'll look at a map you'll see the distances aren't too long. What we found worked well was to plan on 2 hilltowns in the same general area a day; visit one in the morning, leave around noon, and be at another one in the vicinity it plenty of time for lunch and more sightseeing. Of course if you like the 1st one or just want a slower pace, then 1 per day will work too.

Posted by
1829 posts

Be aware that you are likely to find that small towns, including the church, shut down from about 1pm to 4pm. It's like arriving in a ghost town! So be sure to plan your day out with that in mind.

A good excuse to find somewhere for a long leisurely lunch and gentle stroll afterwards to help the digestion.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Gail,
Two years ago, I stayed in a beautiful B&B in Castiglione Fiorentino close to Cortona. I did day trips to Montepulciano & Monteriggioni as well as enjoying my evenings in Cortona which was wonderful. I was only there three days and there were certainly more places i could have visited. Make sure you make dinner reservations for the restaurant in Cortona suggested in Rick's book. I believe its called La Loggiata, sorry I don't have the book with me at the moment. It overlooks the Piazza and is directly across from the church. Get a table overlooking the Piazza. Great food and ambience! Also Fufluns was great for inexpensive meals, also in Rick's book. As for Florence, I have been there quite alot on two trips and I suggest you don't drive there. I would suggest staying there for at least a few days (it's such a great place!) without use of a car. If you want to visit the amazing Chianti area there are some wonderful tours leaving from Florence which not only take you there hassle free but you can have lunch or dinner there depending on the tour you choose.
Good luck and enjoy. It will be awesome!!!