Please sign in to post.

Cortona

Has any been to that balcony in Cortona that overlooks the valley like in Ricks' You Tube video? Cortona 1:38 mark. If so is there a name or location that would make it easier to find while there?

Posted by
32198 posts

Mike, That looks like Piazza Garibaldi, which is where the Bus stop coming from the rail station is located. When standing at the railing and looking toward Lake Trasimeno, Hotel San Luca will be to your right and the statue of Garibaldi will be behind you. If you're going to Piazza della Repubblica along Via Nazionale, you'll have to go right past that spot. If you'll be using a rental car, note that Via Nazionale is a ZTL area, so DON'T plan on driving there. Happy travels!

Posted by
35 posts

Thank You! So where is a good place to park when we go there?

Posted by
32198 posts

Mike, There's a large car park right below the spot you mentioned. If standing at the railing and looking towards Lake Trasimeno, look downwards to the left and you'll see it. The lot is free AFAIK. As I recall, there's another small lot on the other side of the city, overlooking the Santa Maria Nuova Church. I can't remember if that one is pay or free? Once you've parked in the lot near Piazza Garibaldi, you'll walk up a small stairway and cross the road. There you'll find two Escalators going up to Piazza Garibaldi. If one or both Escalators are not working, there are stairs alongside each one. I wouldn't advise taking the car right up to the town as they DO have ZTL areas there and parking is hard to find. However if you're staying at Hotel San Luca, I believe they have limited parking for guests (check their website). Cheers!