Please sign in to post.

Cooking classes in Lake Como region

Hi Folks,
We heard today that Chef Mareno passed away suddenly. Tragic for his family and friends. We are now in search of an alternative cooking class for early May. We are staying in Varenna. Do you guys have any siggestions?
Thanks,
Casey

Posted by
11136 posts

We have spent a lot of time on Lake Como and am surprised to see cooking classes there. The local specialties are fine but removed from what people may expect. The lake fish are small whitefish. There are Swiss-German influences such as ravioli filled with red cabbage. There will be more risotto than pasta. I wonder what recipes these classes are teaching?

Posted by
16190 posts

I am sorry to learn of his passing. We did his class 13 years ago and learned a lot, not just about cooking but about Italy and the EU. Chef Moreno was an excellent teacher and a kind and generous person.

Suki—-in the class we did indeed make fresh pasta, rolled out and sliced into strips like tagliatelle or fettuccine (I can’t recall if we used egg), as well as gnocchi which we learned to form by hand and press with a fork. And two fresh sauces, one with cherry tomatoes and basil. I don’t recall the other one. We continue to make the fresh pasta at home as a family activity when our daughters (who took the class with us) are visiting.