Please sign in to post.

Cooking class in Lucca

Hello. We are planning a trip to Lucca and would like to take a cooking class that includes a shopping trip. Does anyone have a recent recommendation? Thanks!

Posted by
876 posts

LOVE LOVE LOVE this town…….get a bike and ride around the city wall…….

Posted by
11218 posts

Are you aware that Lucca has its own cuisine? Are you interested in learning that one?
And yes, rent bikes to ride around the city walls. We were there for four nights and rode around the walls every day.

Posted by
123 posts

Thanks. I love Lucca, too! Great food and wine, and it’s fun to ride the wall.

We do want to take a cooking class though, so I do need a recommendation for that.

Has anyone been to the little theater that features Verdi on a daily basis?

Posted by
7339 posts

Hi Susan, I participated in a wonderful cooking class in Lucca. It’s “Extra Virgin”. Let me look up the details. I think he has moved outside of Lucca in the countryside- still offering classes.

https://www.extravirginlucca.com/

Posted by
7474 posts

We’ve taken several cooking classes elsewhere in Tuscany, in Castagneto Carducci south of Lucca, and Florence to the east, but not in Lucca itself. None of them included a shopping trip, even to a farmer’s market for ingredients.

We attended the Puccini arias performance one night at the San Giovanni church in September 2022, featuring two alternating sopranos, and piano accompaniment, all excellent. Our B&B (La Boheme) provided us with a 2-for-1 voucher. Don’t know if other lodging places in town have those, too, or maybe this was exclusive. Unfortunately, a woman behind us was humming and singing along for much of the performance - not appreciated, not part of the show. I didn’t turn around and give her a shush, or stare-down, or request she please refrain from lamely singing over the singers we’d paid to see. Something told me she was a local, who was probably a frequent attendee, or even was somehow affiliated with putting on the nightly show - stagehand, ticket taker, whatever. We’d arrived just before showtime, and were in the row farthest back that was empty. Then she suddenly wound up sitting another row back. I finally got up and moved to the section of folding chairs on the other side of the aisle. Get there earlier if you can, so you’re closer to the front, and maybe won’t get the amateur sing-along woman behind you.

Posted by
123 posts

I did see Extra Virgin advertised. And it sounds great! Thank you.

Posted by
123 posts

We’re staying at La Boheme, too, as a result of recommendations on this site. And yes, thanks for reminding me about the performance venue. Perfetto! Grazie Mille.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey susan
cucina-italiana.com
several half day classes
eatwith.com
click fork symbol upper left, (place, dates, how many) then cooking classes offered.
airbnb/experiences/lucca
scroll through for cooking classes
saved these for our next trip. gobble gobble
aloha

Posted by
701 posts

My husband and I also took the class at Extra Virgin just last fall and he was still in town. Lovely class, lovely setting. Only 8 participants at the most, so everyone gets to participate as much as they like. Excellent menu and outcome.