Please sign in to post.

Como or Varenna?

My husband and I along with our one year old and my mother (who's young and fit at 54years old) are staying in the Como area and are debating between Como Town and Varenna. Which is better, which is more accessible (we have an 11am flight from Linate to London), which is more convenient with a one year old, which one is prettier. Thanks!

Posted by
27135 posts

Are you driving, or are you dependent on public transportation?

I'll leave it to others to comment on the desirability of the two cities from a tourist standpoint, but Rome2Rio.com suggests that Como is about 30 minutes closer to Linate Airport (about a 45-minute drive vs. a 75-min. drive from Varenna).

Posted by
5214 posts

Alison,
My mom & I enjoyed our stay in Varenna very much two years ago. We also visited the town of Como as a day trip. I think Varenna is lovely, but I'm not sure it's more convenient with a one year old.
There are many stairs, so it will be difficult to use a stroller, but as long as you don't mind carrying your baby, then I vote for Varenna.

There's a beautiful promenade along the lake, which connects the ferry dock to the village, and it's flat & paved, so you can use a stroller there.

You can also take the ferry to Bellagio & other lakeside villages. The scenery is magnificent & breathtaking!

When I was planning our trip, I was forewarned about the many stairs, especially since my mom is in her 80's, but she loved Varenna! She just took her time going up the stairs...

You will have to leave Varenna fairly early in order to make it to the airport by 9am.

You may consider spending the night before your flight in Milan.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
5214 posts

Alison,

I forgot to ask you. When are you planning to travel to Varenna or to the town of Como?

The weather can be iffy at this time of year. We were there at the beginning of October & experienced one beautiful sunny day & two drizzly, cloudy days.

Posted by
1829 posts

I did not find the town of Como very pretty, compared to Varenna or Bellagio ; which are both beautiful!
Really no contest on which is prettier, however Como town will be more convenient in most every respect.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks guys. We will be in the Como area 11/3-11/8. Sounds like Varenna is the place to be for picturesque village type scenery. Appreciate the input!

Posted by
111 posts

Add my two cents for Varenna. We spent 3 days there in September and I highly recommend (as many others do on this Forum), Albergo Milano. We stayed in the Casa Rossa apartment, which had a patio overlooking the water, and would comfortably sleep 4.
I'm not sure if the Albergo is open in November, though. Seems to me the owner said they close at the end of October and don't open again until April.

Posted by
5214 posts

Alison,

We will be in the Como area 11/3-11/8.

As Larry has pointed out, do check availability of accommodations, as many do close down at the end of October or very beginning of November due to the weather.

I may be incorrect, but I don't think November is the best time to be in Varenna...

Posted by
304 posts

Varenna! You'll love it. Try to get an apartment with a view of the lake.

Posted by
262 posts

Varenna, Varenna, Varenna....that is all

Posted by
32 posts

We stayed in Como town last year and loved it....lots of shops and restaurants....we are going again next year but have decided to stay in Varenna just to be based for the train to St Moritz.