Please sign in to post.

Colosseum underground tour

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I didn't realize how far in advance I should have booked an underground tour for the Colosseum. There are no English tours available the days I'm in Rome; however, there are Spanish and Italian tours available. I speak VERY minimal/conversational Spanish, and no Italian. I'm dying to go on this tour, even if it's just to be in the area and not understand the guide. Has anyone booked a guide in a language they don't speak before? I've tried searching private tours, as well, but it doesn't seem any of the timeslots will work for my trip.

Thanks in advance!
-Dani

Posted by
118 posts

I have not, but I don't see why you couldn't. Being in those "special" places is probably half the fun of the tour and is the main reason I booked it.

Posted by
4134 posts

Dani, my daughter and 2 friends did just that in June. She waited too long to call and book and all the English tours were full. I looked online and could see that the Spanish tours had plenty of room, so she booked one and it was fine. (I had just been there in January so I knew they would not have trouble understanding what to do.) Admittedly they didn't get as much from it as they would have in English, but they loved seeing the third ring and the underground, as well as not waiting in lines. Go for it!