Please sign in to post.

Colosseum Underground tour

Will underground tours of the Colosseum be available for July 2014? I had called directly at the end of May and received a recording indicating the tour could be purchased on June 15. Now when I call there is no mention of the tour.

Posted by
73 posts

I booked one thru Walks of Italy for July 10. My tour is at night but I also noted they have daytime tours. These can also be booked directly thru the Colosseum but I wanted to avoid the whole ticket line scenario.

Posted by
39 posts

I was also told the date of June 15th when I called in mid-May. The woman I spoke with said, "Call back June 15 and we can make tour reservation then." As a safety net, I went ahead and purchased entrance tickets for the Colosseum thru Coopculture. Even if I do not get the underground tour in July, at least I can self-guide myself through the Colosseum's main area.

Posted by
4152 posts

The colosseum has not released any dates beyond the end of this month for day light underground tours. They have been waiting until the last possible minute to release the tours and have been doing them in about 2 month batches. There is no need to book with an expensive private company unless you want to spend the money. The official site should be releasing the tickets within the next few days. Just keep checking.

As an alternative, you can call the official number and book the night time tour of the underground. This tour and ticket does NOT include entry to the forum or palatine hill as it is a special event.

Donna

Posted by
2 posts

They have now opened the underground and third ring tours for July. Thanks.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site with their recent experiences.
We plan to buy the Roma Pass, and gain entry to the Colosseum using the pass. My question is do we still need to email or call to be able to bypass the lines, or is the Roma Pass essentially the same as having a "reservation?"