Please sign in to post.

Colosseum underground tour

Hi,

So through the official colosseum booking website, I realized that the underground Colosseum tour is all booked up in June. But I see that tourist companies such as Dark rome and Walks of Italy have underground colosseum tours. Are they the same?

Thanks

Posted by
630 posts

Both are reputable companies with rave reviews. One tour company may offer a more convenient time for you than the other. I believe Walks of Italy offers tours with 12 or fewer people whereas Dark Rome's tours are 24 people (according to their websites). According to their websites, Walks of Italy's price is 95 Euros whereas Dark Rome's is 118 Euros.

Posted by
29 posts

I just booked a tour on Friday evening for June 22 at 11:40 am and there were still tickets left. Maybe I'll see you there!

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks everyone. I am looking for 6/6 to 6/10 which is already sold out. At least the english tours. However, the italian underground and third tier tours are wide open.

I am thinking about buying the extra video/audio tour plus the italian underground tour, would that work? I do not know Italian, but would the video/audio (supposedly i will be given an ipad) include audios for the underground?

I think the night tour is nice, but it doesn't include the third tier.

Posted by
4152 posts

If you're renting the audio guide and it contains information about the underground areas then you should book the Italian tour. The English tour is the only one that sells out so for those wanting to take the tour, just study up on the structure and do an alternate language tour.

Donna

Posted by
23 posts

Hi Donna, do you know if the audio would contain information about the underground? I am not sure, and can't find any info on the internet

Posted by
3 posts

I've never heard of these underground colosseum tours, they sound amazing. Are the worth the price?

Posted by
206 posts

We did the underground/3rd tier tour last year and was definitely worth it. The audio guide in English and going on another language may be an alternative. the areas were amazing but the guide was hard to understand. I had to really concentrate and stand close to the guide to understand her English and my teenaged children couldn't understand any, but it was still interesting.

Posted by
4152 posts

Wendy, the information in the underground tour is about the structure and construction of the colosseum. It's basically the same information given on the regular tours and on the audio tours.

Chris, yes the underground tour is very good. It's hard to get on and most of the tours for April, May and June are already sold out. They haven't released any tours yet for July through the end of the year.

Donna

Posted by
3941 posts

We were in Rome early Sept in 2014 and were there 5 nights. We were staying very close to the Colosseum (literally less than a 3 min walk) and on day three, I went over as soon as they opened to see if they had any slots open for the underground tour. I was prepared to not do it, and could have taken any over the next few days. We were able to get 3 spots for a tour just after lunch, and they also had some spaces later in the afternoon.

So if you can't prebook, and you can get over first thing and maybe have a few days in the city, you could luck into one. We wre lucky we were nearby, because we just went back to our room, had breaky, back over to do the Palatine hill, grabbed a quick lunch then it was time for our tour. If your heart is set on it tho, and you can't get one with coopculture, then you may want to look into one of the other tour companies. I think walks of Italy also did a nighttime one certain days of the week - that sounds cool - maybe they don't offer them now.